Clarification on BTH Table for wiped out, breaking vs routing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

cyhiew

Clarification on BTH Table for wiped out, breaking vs routing

Post by cyhiew »

I am new to CoC and have only a few games under my belt. I would appreciate an official clarification on the when to roll on the BTH table when the following occurs

As I understand it,
When a team or section is wiped out, they roll on the BTH table
When a team or section breaks, it rolls on the BTH table respectively. Any leader within 4 inches of the breaking unit retreats with the unit as per rules 2D6 + 6 inches but does not roll on the BTH table.
If the turn ends and the team or section is still broken, it routs off the table. Any leader within 4 inches also routs along and rolls on the BTH table for "leader routs" There is no entry in the BTH table for team or section routs (only for wiped out and breaking) but does being removed from the game tabletop count as being wiped out and then having to roll as team or section wiped out on the BTH table when they rout off the table ?
Leaders only roll on BTH table for being wounded, killed or routing. Leaders never "break" per se.

I have seen some videos where this is the interpretation of a routing team/section, so they roll when they break and a second time when they rout off the table as they are deemed wiped out. I read the rules as being very specific difference between wiped out in combat vs routing off the table.

I have searched the forum and have found a mention of Richard clarifying this in a Yahoo forum which I cannot the find a reference to.

Thank you for any help in clearing this up for me.

Morgan

Re: Clarification on BTH Table for wiped out, breaking vs routing

Post by Morgan »

> When a team or section is wiped out, they roll on the BTH table
Correct.

> When a team or section breaks, it rolls on the BTH table respectively.
Correct.

> Any leader within ... retreats with the unit ... but does not roll on the BTH table.
Correct.

> If the turn ends ... it routs off the table. Any leader ... rolls on the BTH table for "leader routs".
Correct.

> There is no entry in the BTH table for team or section routs ...
There is no BTH roll for the team/section routing from the table. Only the BTH roll for any attached leader. Routing from the table does not count as "wiped out"; that is specifically for "everyone died on the tabletop".

> Leaders only roll on BTH table for being wounded, killed or routing. Leaders never "break" per se.
Correct.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Seret

Re: Clarification on BTH Table for wiped out, breaking vs routing

Post by Seret »

cyhiew wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 am
I have seen some videos where this is the interpretation of a routing team/section, so they roll when they break and a second time when they rout off the table as they are deemed wiped out.
Yeah, that's not right.

What a BTH roll represents is the psychological impact on the men still fighting that these events have. So seeing your mates run away gibbering obviously unsettles them, but once that's happened it's happened. There's a big difference between "OMG they're all dead" and "Those guys who just ran away are still running away".