MMG's on a Truck

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

George2591

MMG's on a Truck

Post by George2591 »

I just finished the Soviet quad Maxims on the back of the GAZ AAA truck.

Would this have a crew of five or five and a JL, if the former it activates on a 1, if the latter a 3? Or could it be something different altogether?

7dot62mm

Re: MMG's on a Truck

Post by 7dot62mm »

This is the quadruple 7.62mm Maxim AA MG m/1931, mounted on the back of a GAZ-AAA truck.

For my Winter War campaign I looked at this and came up with 1 JL with carbine, three gunners with revolvers and 1 driver with carbine.

This is based on the Finnish 1941 manual " Tietoja N-L:n armeijasta I" which is a book on the Red Army's organizations. As is usual for such war-time works it probably contains lots of inaccuaracies and mistakes. I don't have it with me at the moment so cannot check exactly what it says on the quadruple MMG but I think I just guessed what the small arms would be but that the crew number is in the manual.

siggian

Post by siggian »

While there is a commander of the gun team, he might not be a JL in CoC terms (and I'd be inclined to say no, similar to MMGs don't have JLs).

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

siggian wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:40 pm
While there is a commander of the gun team, he might not be a JL in CoC terms (and I'd be inclined to say no, similar to MMGs don't have JLs).
I think you're right. Of course in my Winter War campaign I gave all MMGs JL's, as in real life.

Seret

Post by Seret »

I can see an argument for going either way: normally MGs don't have a JL, but vehicles do. So which is it?

Either way, this thing would have 16 firepower dice, so is a beast. With 60% more firepower than a normal Maxim you'd want to push it 60% up the support list. That would be at least List 5 IMO, and I'd certainly call it List 6 if you included a JL, because it would be significantly easier to activate.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I believe the Truck mounted Quad Maxim is list 5, 14d6 firepower, this is according to Rich and as laid out in the Consolidated Arsenal. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1519117957. I believe it is without a JL. We have used it many times in our Winter War games, it is quite powerful. WE did allow a SL to activate it if within range.

George2591

Post by George2591 »

Thanks for the insights gents. Might rethink the JL.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Why 14?

I can see it being 10 for the first barrel and then is it +1 per extra linked? So that'd be 13

Seret

Post by Seret »

It's normally +2 per extra barrel. I'm confused about where 14 has come from too.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Here you go https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... xim#p10586. That is from whom it came.