Question about removing shock

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

B. Wren

Question about removing shock

Post by B. Wren »

Hullo folks. Got a bit of a rules question that's also a tactical question.

So, rulebook says leaders can remove shock if the team they're removing it from are out of enemy line of sight. So, get the shocked team into a concrete bunker or behind a high wall, pretty straightforward.

But I was wondering how this applies to the following cases, which we've found a bit interesting and ambiguous in our games:

- my lot are being shot at in the desert between patches of scrub, they've got unlucky with the movement. Shock has applied. Now it's my phase and I use a 3 to make them go tactical; can the leader remove shock at this point? I know they're still in the open for LoS purposes but they have flattened and grabbed whatever cover is there.

- now my lot have managed to retreat behind, say, a two inch strip of camel thorn/dry scrub (light cover). Is doing this enough to boost that team's morale to the tune of one shock removed?

- what if there are two or more bits of intervening light cover? Say four or more inches in total - enough to stop enemy shooting at you if in a defined forest area, but can these four inches be made up of non continuous terrain?

Here in Cyrenaica we are somewhat wanting for hedges and walls. It's difficult to find places truly out of LoS of enemy, and I've wondered if this might justify being more liberal with shock removal than the rulebook states. And tactically, in general, is it worth trying to save teams by pulling them back into cover and removing shock in this way?

OldNick

Re: Question about removing shock

Post by OldNick »

There are 3 things a leader may do whoch are not activations that are detailed in section 4.5.3, of which two are relevant here.

‘ - Rally one point of Shock from any Team
in his command range that is not within
line of sight of the enemy
- Rally one point of Shock from any Team
he is attached to if it is in line of sight of
the enemy’.

Both allow a point of shock to be removed.

The first allows a point of shock to be removed at range, if the team is not in enemy L.o.S.

The second allows a point of shock to be removed from a team even if they are in enemy L.o.S. but to do this the leader must be attached to the team.

This second puts the leader at much greater risk, but seems to solve your problem.

B. Wren

Post by B. Wren »

Ah, I see. This makes sense now. And I guess if he's attached to a section he's attached to both teams therein?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

To be attached you need to be within 4" of the team.
So it is possible to be out of attachmemt range.

However if you are within 4" of both teams you can be attached to the section, this applies to SL too.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As to your original question, none of the circumstances you describe would normally break line of sight so the Leader must be attached to remove Shock, being in cover or going Tactical doesn’t affect that.

One thing you might want to consider for the desert is introducing gullies or depressions into the landscape which might allow troops occupying them to be out of sight of the enemy and thus easier to rally Shock from. Difficult to model on an otherwise flat tabletop, but worth considering perhaps.

John

Truscott Trotter

Wadi meant is.....😁

DougM

Post by DougM »

So a leader with two initiatives attached to the squad can remove one point of shock from each team even if in LOS? That's handy. Of course, they don't do anything else, so that you then get shot at again and take more shock :)
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Truscott Trotter

Correct - you really need a senior leader on hand to help recover.

or do what I tend to do remove the section from LOF rebuild shock on the meantime replace it with a fresh section.

If you leave a section in a losing firefight too long it becomes too hard to recover and it becomes 'combat ineffective' - just like in real life! :D

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

If you have a 3 and a 2 then the Leader can remove shock with the 3 as this doesn’t count as an unit activation and then activate the team to move and go tactical on the 2!

Don

Truscott Trotter

Nope first paragraph p 17