Russian Mortars Support

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

George2591

Russian Mortars Support

Post by George2591 »

Just updating my own personal Arsenal for the forces I have at hand, and while doing the Russians I notice they don't have any equivalent for the British 3" and German 80mm mortars. Having just come back to WWII I always thought the Russians were well used to using mortars, am I wrong?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Russian Mortars Support

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Simple queation Complex answer.
If you search on here you will find some past posts on this.

Basically the perception is built upon one article published by the US repeated ad nauseum since ww2.

I have assembled a series of other sources translated to show that in some circumstances the Russians did disperse their mortars lower level. (PM me if you would like copy)

However there seems to be little interest in revising the common perceltions of Soviet troops under any set if rules - they are Orcs period!🙄

ocollens

Post by ocollens »

Hi George,

Sorry this does not really answer your question but do you know there is a memoir by a member of an 82mm mortar company cheaply available in Kindle format?
Red Road to Stalingrad by Mansur Abdulin. Despite being the unit's political officer he is fairly open about the chaos.

George2591

Post by George2591 »

Interesting replies gents. Truscott I will pm in the cold light of day, I agree that the Russians need to be looked at in a new light. Ocollens I have not yet got around to reading any memoirs yet but thanks for the reference.

Truscott Trotter

No worries just send me your email when ready.

Another good read is On the Roads of War by Ivan Yakushin. He starts out in a mortar battery before moving to AT guns.

As far as manuals in English go I would recommend Soviet tactical Doctrine in WWII as found in Handbook TM-30-340, Published by Nafziger

It has the original text reproduced in Lone Sentry about high level Soviet mortars but that is only part of it. the rest of the chapter discusses other uses and low level dispersion of mortar and artillery assets.

I then have some (poor) translations from the Soviet Battle reports that back up what the US Handbook say.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Yeah, the short answer is that Soviet mortars are covered by the Pre-Game Barrage, as they're assumed to be pooled at higher level and used for stereotypically Soviet mega-stonks.

As TT says, pooling indirect fire for maximum effect was the theory anyway, but actual practice varied. So much in fact that in some units medium mortars were decentralised down to operating individually as direct-fire weapons! I've done that in CoC and it's quite good fun. Forget light mortars, lobbing 82mm mortar bombs across the table really gets their attention.

Novista

Post by Novista »

In regards to “red road” which I finished this week, there isn’t a lot about them using their mortars, there’s a lot more about them fighting as infantry, just saying...

Truscott Trotter

If I was going to add in Soviet medium mortar batteries I would use the FOO rules for landlines from BK.

(Yes I realise most mortar barrages didn't deliberately drop as close to freindly troops as in the scale of the game and prob should be PGB)