Recce Troop

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Eclaireur

Recce Troop

Post by Eclaireur » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Just wondering whether any of you have put together orders of battle for reconnaissance units? I was thinking of something US or British for 1944 Normandy but you equally might have tried it with German or other armies.
The number of troopers was usually small compared to an infantry platoon so one could easily have a hybrid organisation of a recce platoon plus - in the US case says of: platoon command, 3 M8 armoured cars, 3-4 jeeps mounting machine gun teams, a truck borne 60mm mortar team and so on.
I'm wondering what might be the best way to configure the command arrangements? You wouldn't necessarily want 8 vehicles on table, each as a team with a Junior Leader. I notice the GB List Five option in the rules of a pair of recce Bren carriers with a single JL. I imagine these would operate as a two team section, with the vehicles having to remain within a certain distance of each other to be within range of the JL? In a late war recce set up, all of these vehicles might have radios also.
So I'm really just interested to see how you guys have played this, approaches, etc
EC

Truscott Trotter

Re: Recce Troop

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Thought about it for the 6th AARR but it is not easy to use in CoC without overloading with vehicles. ( I have 3 Cromwells, 2 Bren Carriers, 2 jeeps and 4 motorcycles :oops: )
Maybe best approach is to have a dismounted small infantry recce detachment and then have support choices of the appropriate vehicles - thus you may get 2 or 3 vehicles on table rather than 8-12.

Seret

Post by Seret » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:27 am

I did a list for Late War German recce platoons. The easiest way to get these forces into CoC is to use the infantry component of the formation. So for the Germans they end up being very similar to Panzer Grenadiers but with lots of armoured cars for support and the shorty 250 halftracks.

I've also done lists for late war Polish armoured recce battlegroups like they used fighting through Belgium/Netherlands, etc. In that case the player had the option of either fielding a motor rifle platoon backed up by armour, or building a custom force based around a single Cromwell tank and then attaching other AFVs or single infantry/engineers sections in halftracks.

SteveC

Post by SteveC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Scout Platoon from the British Infantry Div's Recce Regt wouldn't be difficult - 1 recce section of 2 A/Cs and 3 Lt Recce Cars plus 2 carrier sections each of 3 Carriers. Lot of fire power potentially but all small 3-4 man teams led by a JL (1 per section ought to be led by a SL). Organic supports would include infantry teams from the Squadron's assault platoon (up to 4 teams of 6 men with a JL), plus a 6pdr A/T gun team and the 3" mortars from HQ Squadron.

In practice, the number of vehicles actually put on table wouldn't be great - LRCs have no punch and wouldn't survive very long and the A/C probably wouldn't be risked until the defense was fully revealed.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for that Seret. I can see that approach would work well though of course it solves the question by turning ones 'recce platoon' into an infantry one with some bolt-ons.
SteveC - that's the type of thing I had in mind. I've read the Brits often used the armoured & scout cars in pairs, eg a Daimler AC and a Dingo scout car. Perhaps one could have two sections like that, each with a JL commanding two teams (the Daimler crew and the Dingo crew), then one or two Bren carrier sections + supports as you suggest.
I would imagine that the value of such a recce platoon would be quite high on the co-calculator, so while they might bring quite a lot of firepower to the party, the enemy would have plenty of support options also
EC

MLB

Post by MLB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 pm

One thought on this and it’s something I’ve been meaning to ask the Lardies ever since I saw reports of Nick’s recce scenario. Would you play the deployment restriction of one vehicle per phase or would you give this type of unit an exception? I can’t imagine in Nick’s airborne recce scenario this rule applies (although I haven’t asked him yet).
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:34 pm

IIRC Jeeps, trucks and motorcycles etc have different operating rules in Ch 11 they can move as a group/s.

Darren

Post by Darren » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 am

I've been thinking about how to use my former bolt action British Armoured Car troop in CoC. This troop is based on an Armoured Car Regiment from an Armoured division rather than a Recce Regiment.

So far I'm planning to have an SL (maybe 2) with 2-3 sections of 1 Daimler armoured car and 1 Dingo scout car and JL. There would be 1-2 assault sections organised as motor rifle sections in half-tracks. Part of the assault platoons job was to clear obstacles, this being the case the rifle team can operate as a demolition team.

Supports would be motor rifle section, Cromwell tank, 6pdr AT-gun, engineering section, half-track, 3" mortars, Achilles tank destroyer.

This is work in progress and I don't claim to have all the answer yet, so I'm happy to hear any suggestions.

I'm also plan to do recon scenarios with IABSM.

The 2015 Christmas special has recon scenarios.

Regards
Darren

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks for that Darren,
I wonder how you (and others!) deal with the question of the JL 'section' commander exercising control over a team in a different vehicle? I can see the if they were not fitted with radio you could just go for proximity (6"?), ie keeping the two vehicles close together, but what if both vehicles have radios?
EC

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 am

MLB wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 pm
One thought on this and it’s something I’ve been meaning to ask the Lardies ever since I saw reports of Nick’s recce scenario. Would you play the deployment restriction of one vehicle per phase or would you give this type of unit an exception? I can’t imagine in Nick’s airborne recce scenario this rule applies (although I haven’t asked him yet).
I’ve never really seen the point of the one vehicle a phase rule.