Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

DougM

Re: Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Post by DougM »

I would say if you stick to one region, then terrain is do'able as an individual.

I want to be able to play games at home as well as the club, so I am gradually building up my stock of terrain for Western Europe, but of course, branch out to Russia, the Mediterranean, the desert, or (clutch pearls) the jungle and it's a big challenge. Never mind season, and of course, French, Dutch, Belgian and German buildings are all slightly different.

If you can I suggest that you try to organise so that one player does one terrain set, and so on.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

DougM

Post by DougM »

Oh, and you will occasionally find that there are some features that you didn't think of.. and you need to build as a one-off special, like a canal-lock, a Dutch style bridge, a railway embankment with a tunnel etc.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

The great thing about terrain for 15mm/20mm and 1/72nd is that it is largely compatible. Trees, roads, fields, hills are all interchangeable, and a great many model buildings and bridges billed as 20mm and HO will work fine for both scales. Meanwhile, 28mm and 15mm are by and large incompatible.

GutterPup

Post by GutterPup »

Truthfully, the majority of my gaming will be with wife and friends, so I'm providing everything. Great point on keeping everything in line across games, so that I can interchange hills/trees/etc. Hearing that 15mm and 20mm terrain works equally for both is nice.

And yea DougM, I absolutely love a good terrain scratch build.

Anyone have a favorite manufacturer for premade 15-20mm urban terrain?

I'm thinking 15-20mm sounds like the scale for me across the board from Ancients to ww2.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

GutterPup wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm
Anyone have a favorite manufacturer for premade 15-20mm urban terrain?
Conflix is nice but very hard to get nowadays and very limited range. I also use lots of Flames of War buildings in 20mm scale. Hovels have a service where you can buy their great buildings prepainted.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I said 15mm and 20mm are LARGELY compatible — that doesn’t mean completely compatible. Fences and walls in 15mm look a little too small for 20mm, but you could buy a tall wall for 15mm and it will serve as a smallish one in 20mm.

Also when you’re buying buildings for both, it’s better to go for HO and 20mm (which are usually underscale anyway) rather than the opposite. A case in point are the 20mm MDF buildings by Sarissa, which are very nice, though they are just on the verge of being too small for 1/72 (i.e 23mm-24mm scale) but will suit 15mm very well.
:geek:

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Empires at War do prepaint mdf in both 15/20mm scale IIRC

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

Gutterpup,
Like yourself, I provide most of the props for family and friends to play with, so my perspective may be similar.

Of the two scales, I went for 20(ish) mm, aka 1/72.
Although 15mm is better scale matched to the ground scale of chain of command, meaning more realistic line of sight and less scale distortion (eg tanks with 30 m x 20m ground footprints) the slightly oversized approach has a few features that sold me.

First up was relatively cheap availability in a fairly wide variety of manufacturers.,particularly of plastic figures and vehicles.
Although the available range of15mm figures is respectable (and possibly cheaper) , there seems to be more options in the larger scale.,as it has a long legacy for military model collecting. Despite living in something of a wargaming backwater (small town Australia), I was able to source figures and vehicles, as well as some HO railway terrain, from general hobby suppliers.
There is a site called "plastic soldier review" that does pretty comprehensive analysis reviews covering most of the plastic infantry figures available in 1/72 scale, across the spectrum of periods.(with accompanying pictures) ..
As a secondary bonus, the slightly larger soldiers are slightly less likely to go AWOL in dense terrain.

Regarding terrain, general compatibility shouldn't be too problematic even if you chose to use 15mm for ancients and 20+mm for chain of command.
The difference between a 15mm tree/river/hill and a 1/72 shrub/stream/hillock is in the definition, and there is no set height or width for stone walls in any given period.
As for buildings, the evolutions in historical architecture mean you'll probably want/need to collect/make separate stuff for each period anyway.,regardless of scale compatibility..
Hope dat helped.

Good luck and happy gaming.
Walk softly and carry a big fish.

henjed69

Post by henjed69 »

Just thought I'd drop a scale-related query in here - I bought some Pendraken 10mm for IABSM French Indochina encounters but have been beguiled by the CoC rules set: I played a CoC game recently using the 10mm figures, but feel I need bigger figures. I can't afford 28mm (sadly) so the options seem to be either 15mm Eureka miniatures, which look v good for the scale) at 60p a shot, or 20 mm Liberation Miniatures and/or Platoon 20 figures (50p/75p respectively).

Does anyone out there have a view as to which figures are 'better'? I'm conscious that 20mm might be preferable (level of detail, identifiability, &c.,), despite the fact that I could probably reuse most of my terrain more easily with 15mm figures - but am keen to be open to others' opinions.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

15mm is a match for the groundscale and works very well. Personally I prefer 20mm which is also close to the groundscale but I find it easier to identify what the individual figures are. Both in my view are better than 28mm.

If you already have suitable terrain I would stick with that.

John