Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Baldie

Re: Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Post by Baldie »

15mm is def the way to go, look better on a 6x4, if you play flames you will no doubt have all the stuff you will ever need and more besides.
This is of course why we totally ignored or own advice and went in for 28mm.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

No, really? :shock: :roll: :geek: :geek: :geek:

henjed69

Post by henjed69 »

I’m actually new to Skirmish gaming... I have v large French, British, German and Russian early war armies (10mm) for which I use GWSH, and I play Dystopian Wars ‘“naval” with some of the other kids, 1/6000 Ww1 Naval (using FAI) with another, and late Dark Age (Viking Wars) with another.

Has anyone experience of Eureka 15mm (or Liberation or Platoo 20 20mm) figures?

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

The new Lardies rules "O Group" will certainly work better in 15mm. For me that would be reason enough to go for this scale as you can play CoC with the same figures.

Personally, I'm too far down the 20mm road (more correctly 1/72 scale) to turn back. Besides the readily available buildings and terrain, figure availability is also good, though far from ideal. And you can buy pretty much any AFV or softskin ever designed in this scale, though of course 3-D printing is eroding that advantage. I'll give "O Group" a go in 20mm but don't have my hopes up too high.

EDIT: Then there's the storage issue. 15mm figs with 10mm/15mm terrain will take up significantly less space; half that (or even less) than 20mm.
I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford 28mm figures and love the look and feel of them, but ruled them out because of storage problems (and because I'm a dreadfully slow painter :) ).

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I'd recommend looking at SHQ for 20mm. My Platoon 20 are all old casting dating back over 20 years and they aren't that impressive. I've just added some SHQ late war Germans to bulk out my (UK produced) FAA figures and they don't look out of place. Same with the American Paras.

Battlefield Miniatures have some nice 20mms in their ranges, though due to illness, it's not accepting new orders at the moment. I'd like to add some of their late war American Inf to complement out my old FAA figures to complete my platoon's supports as they seem a better style and figure 'weight' fit to alternative sources.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

MLB wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:34 pm
As has been pointed out, no scale is wrong, but they can play differently. At the end of the day it's personal preference. I came into CoC with existing 20mm forces and terrain and so that's what scale I play in. I made a comparison shot of my Gembloux Gap table for Scenario 1 in 20mm and the Lardies 28mm table. As the Baron points out, there are differences.

Just adding another comparison here for 15mm, since I happen to have photos of the same table laid out in that scale.

As you can see, the smaller footprint of individual terrain pieces meant that a single building on the map usually ended up with a yard, enclosure, outbuildings, or in some cases turned into several buildings on the table.

Each scale looks good, and gives a slightly different impression.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

henjed69 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
I’m actually new to Skirmish gaming... I have v large French, British, German and Russian early war armies (10mm) for which I use GWSH, and I play Dystopian Wars ‘“naval” with some of the other kids, 1/6000 Ww1 Naval (using FAI) with another, and late Dark Age (Viking Wars) with another.

Has anyone experience of Eureka 15mm (or Liberation or Platoo 20 20mm) figures?
Eureka 15mm are good figures , I have a few of their Italian motorcycles they are really nice.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

henjed69 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 pm
I bought some Pendraken 10mm for IABSM French Indochina encounters but have been beguiled by the CoC rules set: I played a CoC game recently using the 10mm figures, but feel I need bigger figures. I can't afford 28mm (sadly) so the options seem to be either 15mm Eureka miniatures, which look v good for the scale) at 60p a shot, or 20 mm Liberation Miniatures and/or Platoon 20 fgures (50p/75p respectively).

Does anyone out there have a view as to which figures are 'better'?
Platoon 20s tend to be a bit of a hit-or-miss, some figure sets are pretty good (I like the Ardennes winter Germans, and the Vietnam civilians), others less so (the 'Nam US and Vietcong are pretty bad, suffering from tiny weapons and generally bad sculpting with big heads). The Platoon 20 series is at least 35 years old now so standards have improved since.

Liberation figures are good, sturdy wargaming figures but there is nothing spectacular about them. The troops' kit is correct and the poses good but often a bit repetitive - you can see the same poses repeated faithfully in Liberation figures for Vietnam, Iraq, the Balkans.... I have the Viet-Minh riflemen and DP gunners and I think they're good figures. I expect the French to be likewise. The downside of Liberation figures is their availability and 1980's style customer service from Liberation Miniatures. There is no web shop and no PayPal - you're expected to mail in or *fax* (I don't even know anyone who still has a land-line phone line, let alone a fax!) your credit card details in true 1980's fashion (you can almost hear Eye of the Tiger playing in the background)... there is no communication between you and Liberation Miniatures until the package hopefully appears in your mailbox. All other companies have moved beyond this retro business style about 15 years ago :lol: . But once you have the figures I think you'll be satisfied with them.

henjed69

Post by henjed69 »

Thanks for that - most helpful.

Call me perverse, but I am rather drawn to "old-fashioned" sellers/manufacturers, possibly because I have been dealing with Navwar on and off for a while (and I am v conscious of how far I am behind the current technological/digital curve).

I've been in touch with Rolf at RH Models by email, so I think I am now caught between 15mm Eureka and 20 mm Liberation. I think I need to analyse my budget and make a decision ;-)

henjed69

Post by henjed69 »

Just thought I'd report back on my eventual purchases - via Rolf at RH Models for some Liberation minis for Indochina early 1950s CofC.

Rolf dealt v courteously with my knuckle-headed queries about some of the figs listed (it's that retro thing again!) and about 3 weeks after sending him a letter(!) and cheque (remember them?) I got the figures. I'm really pleased with them, and they also represent excellent VFM. It was partly that which swung me towards them as for 20mm figs they are significantly cheaper than the 15mm Eurekas.

Thanks to all here who helped me in coming to a decision.

Now to paint the blighters :shock: (not painted anything bigger than 10mm for over twenty years...)