Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

GutterPup

Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Post by GutterPup »

I am about to go all in for Chain of Command and Sharp Practice. The smaller ranges of the latter have me investing in 28mm, but I feel the former at 28mm would need a 12'x12' playing area or it would feel too cramped/close quarters. Id also like to be able to use the same tanks for CoC and What a Tanker, and that game seems to benefit from the smallest models possible to allow for maneuvre.

Does anyone have good pictures of CoC tables at 15, 20, and 28mm to compare? Im a newbie to anything but GW, which will be the most economicall, 15mm or 20mm? I would assume smaller, but demand differences might mean that 20mm actually comes out cheaper.

Truscott Trotter

Re: Starting in CoC, looking for help on 15mm vs 20mm

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Have played 6x4 with 28mm for last 6 years no problems. I love the figures and models at that scale.

Having said that it plays just as well at either 15 or 20mm more empty space at 15mm and harder to see individual figures and armaments at 15mm at least for me!

Lots of really nice 20mm figures out there too and cheaper than 28mm.

What scale are you likely to get more games at without providing both sides?
28mm

Plenty of photos on CoC facebook.
Good 20mm shots google tacticalpainters blog

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

I am parcial too 20mm because I already had a lot of 1/72 kit tanks and minis from the old Fantassin range that a friend gave to me. Now that Fantassin original owner is making new minis as Xan Miniatures, I am more parcial indeed! (Xan is a friend of mine).

And see this:

https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... guide.html

I own 28mm minis too (british paras and building an american infantry platoon), but my plan is using mainly 20mm. I own more 20mm minis than 28mm, and you can store more.

Milo.

siggian

Post by siggian »

I think the primary consideration should be whether you have terrain in a scale. If so, play CoC in that scale. It looks and works equally great in any of the scales that you mentioned.

I have 28mm figures (a company's worth of Germans and Soviets plus lots of support goodies), but if I was starting from scratch, I'd consider going with 15mm or 20mm. The figure prices in 28mm are fine, but vehicle prices start to get pretty outrageous and bought terrain can get pricey too.

As far as table size goes, no problems playing on a 4x6 table. In fact, it's possible to play on a 3x4 table if you have a lot of terrain like a city battle.(with the only change is the patrol moves are 8" as my own house rule so that no one gets locked down too quickly).

DougM

Post by DougM »

If I was starting from scratch? Well, I love 28mm for the character and so on, plus, there are plenty of players around who have built 28mm forces for Bolt Action, but 20mm (aka 1/72) is hard to beat for the range of figures and vehicles, especially available as a range of kits. Virtually anything you can think of is relatively cheap as a 1/72 kit.

15mm is where the figure scale meets the ground scale, so a 'sweet spot' - but frankly, for me, one of the real strengths of CoC is playing it as a campaign or series of linked games, where personalities like the Lieutenant, Sergeant and Corporals are actual people with back-stories. That works less well for me in 15mm.

Frankly,.. all the scales have pros and cons, pick whatever people in your area are likely to want to game with.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

DukeWacoan

Post by DukeWacoan »

We have played 28mm on 6x4 with no issues. Using Perrys and Offensive 28s, which are a bit smaller than others, with 1/56 vehicles. I think Empress figs match up with Perry/Offensive too.

We also play the same table with 20mm AB Figures and 1/72 vehicles. ABs are really nice.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

If you want to assess the practical differences between the two main scales - 20mm (1/72-1/76)* and 28mm (1/56-1/60) - may I suggest that you study the two versions of the Gembloux Gap pint-sized campaign, fought recently by The Tactical Painter (20mm) and Lardy Rich & Rotund Nick (28mm). Both of these games required four "goes" at the initial scenario, but it quickly becomes obvious that the difference in size/scale in the two set ups gives subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) variations in terrain from essentially the same map, and consequently an alternative set of tactical problems.

[* and, by implication, 15mm (1/100) ]

Tactical Painter:
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 20&t=11691

And the "official" TFL version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsS01bauwE
(you can link to the other three programmes via the side menu - this forum only permits two URLs per post)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

docfin

Post by docfin »

I use 20mm as it's stuff I have had a while, if I were to start again, i would more likely chose 15mm or possibley 10mm. This is due to storage and transporting to the club.

MLB

Post by MLB »

As has been pointed out, no scale is wrong, but they can play differently. At the end of the day it's personal preference. I came into CoC with existing 20mm forces and terrain and so that's what scale I play in. I made a comparison shot of my Gembloux Gap table for Scenario 1 in 20mm and the Lardies 28mm table. As the Baron points out, there are differences.

The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Andrey

Post by Andrey »

15mm CoC
15mm CoC