Russian naval troops

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

docfin

Russian naval troops

Post by docfin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:52 am

Hi
I have some old Russian naval figures and if i can find the manufacture I am looking to start a Russian force. would they follow the other Russian lists in terms of organisation and support.

Truscott Trotter

Re: Russian naval troops

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:05 am

Good question.
As far as I can tell their platoon organisation is same as infantry. Support would be basically the same some slight differences mainly in armour support.

mluther

Post by mluther » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:15 pm

That's what I use. They can have additional Smgs and auto rifles but they really are green troops. If you feel they should be tougher allow them to ignore a couple of shock points for close combat.

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Dont make then Green as per the rules unless you want them to be teally really bad....

I think possibly the better thing is to give them a similar Force Morale tracker to some Line of Communication troops from the Blitz book, remove a load of the National charecteristics, get them to deploy and roll morale like Greem troops etc.

But hitting on 3+ at close and 4+ at effective is just way to punitive for me on a D6 range.

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Captain W Martin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm
Dont make then Green as per the rules unless you want them to be teally really bad....
Nothing wrong with making troops Green, especially if you give them a phase dice so they're not getting shorted on the CoC dice and double phases.

You have to handle a Green force differently from a regular one. As you say, sitting at long range trading fire isn't a good idea. But your super lower force rating means you should get some cool toys to boost your firepower. Dig em in and they can be pretty durable.

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:21 pm

I dont disagree, having palyed Green troops in the Bloody Bucket!

What I found out quickly is that you don't want to put them anywhere near the fight. apart from an assualt where being dripping dripping in SMG's is handy and actually its the support options that do all the heavy lifting which is no bad thing if thats what the sceanro dictates.

For me generally however a straight up Green rating is a bit of a 'blunt instrument' and that +1 to hit is a huge difference and Ive been trying ways to make troops poor without being Green. Im not familar enough with the Soviet Naval stuff to really comment fully.

I know its been discussed at length....

docfin

Post by docfin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks for the replies, I bought the figures about 20yrs ago as a rapid fire battalion used them once, never played the rules again and have been in the loft since. As I have been given a 3D printer, vehicles and terrain are now so cheap so it's worth doing as a project.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:27 pm

I am not sure I would rate them green unless they were one of those freshly raised units from the Black Sea fleet.

They seemed to do OK in Stalingrad especially in the grain elevator.

Good site here from a fellow gamer.
https://balagan.info/russian-naval-infantry-in-ww2

DougM

Post by DougM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 pm

I think the problem is that we don't differentiate well between, 'enthusiatic, willing to accept losses' and 'tactically astute' - it was noted in the Napoleonic Wars, and the ACW, that you could get raw troops to attempt things that veterans would shake their heads at. Great examples in period were the hugely experienced British infantry divisions in 1944 and 1945, who were tactically adept, but had reached a point where after 5 years of war, they were not prepared to do much more dieing, it was someone else's turn.

Arguably, Green troops should get a + to force morale, and veterans a - much more likely to concede the field when outfought.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

docfin

Post by docfin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:52 pm

well I cannot say I know much about the eastern front, this is a got some figures let's see what we can do with them project. Time to do a little reading.