Medium Mortar Batteries

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

zanoni

Medium Mortar Batteries

Post by zanoni »

Hi all,

Just a few questions about the medium mortar batteries that I can't figure out and would appreciate some clarification on:

1) Is the area affected a square with 18" sides or is it a square with 18" diagonals centered on the aiming point? An 18" square seems very large and covers a significant part of the table!

2) If the Forward Observation Team is itself under a mortar barrage can they still call down fire if they are pinned by the barrage? Can they be killed by the barrage?

3) There is no possibility of error when shifting the barrage aiming point 6"? You just move it 6" in any direction?

4) Once the barrage has started do you have to activate the Forward Observer every phase to keep it going either using a 1 or a Senior Leader? What happens if you don't activate it on a phase by choice or because you don't have the correct command dice?

It seems rather overpowered so I'd also appreciate any thoughts on how to overcome it....

Thanks,

Zanoni

Truscott Trotter

Re: Medium Mortar Batteries

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Search 'mortar' and / or barrage on this forum you will find many threads which will go along way to answering your questions.

GavinP

Post by GavinP »

1) Yes 18" sides

2) Yes, a team under the barrage can be killed.

3) yes, 6" is guaranteed.

4) a barrage that is activated roles for casualties. A barrage that is not activated does not but it continues to be there until the FO is killed or the FO stops the barrage.

And yes, It's massively powerful which makes it a somewhat contentious subject.

zanoni

Post by zanoni »

Thanks Gavin, very helpful. Perhaps we will just agree not to use them!

Truscott Trotter

We did that for about a yeah but decided it was a useful pary of the game so we pay tested varjous house rules over 2 years. Happy now.
If you would like a copy pm your email addy and I will send you a copy as a word.doc.

Mike Moss

Post by Mike Moss »

By the way, how many men are there in a 1940 forward observer team? I'd assume 3 but I haven't found anything in the Blitzkrieg handbook, any help would be much appreciated!

Truscott Trotter

One man team in COC. Something along the lines of it doesn't matter how many assistants one kill to put the team out of action IIRC.

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

You can model them as a team if you want or just have a single model, regardless however each time the observer is hit you role a dice:

A Forward Observer who has been hit will roll  1D6.  On a roll of 1 to 3 he has been killed.  On a  roll of 4 to 6 he is wounded and my continue to  do his job, but may not move for the rest of the  game.

there are no multiple lives for multiple models, that is why it pays to deploy him near a section who can share the hits.

Truscott Trotter

See I wasn't hallucinating after all 😊

Mike Moss

Post by Mike Moss »

Nice, thanks for the rules clarification! I've got some nice models with telephones and such so I'll model them as teams.