Gembloux Gap Reinforcements

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

calumma

Gembloux Gap Reinforcements

Post by calumma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Just started reading At the Sharp End and hoping to start a campaign based on the Gembloux Gap campaign. Most things are clear, but I'm a bit confused about reinforcements.

Twice during the campaign the German player can replace a platoon with a new platoon. The French can replace a platoon at specific points on the ladder. But the Germans may also call for reinforcements once during the campaign. What are these reinforcements? Reinforcements are not available to the French. I've read the bit about wildcards in AtSE, but these seem quite specific and none are detailed for Gembloux?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Gembloux Gap Reinforcements

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Reinforcements simply replace the platoon with a fresh one.
see p 20 ATSE.
I do not have the campaign but there is a difference between replacements and reinforcements in ATSE.
If it is reinforcements then the relevant part of p 20 is

Where such reinforcements are available the
controlling player should be allowed to decide
at what point in the campaign he will
introduce the fresh platoon to the campaign.
This may never happen during a game, but
will happen at the start of a campaign turn
with the original platoon and its survivors
removed from the campaign, playing no
further part.

calumma

Post by calumma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 pm

Yes I read that too and it was my understanding of reinforcements in AtSE. But in the campaign it specifically states that the Germans can replace a platoon with a fresh one twice AND they may call on reinforcements once. So in fact the Germans can replace a platoon with a fresh one three times?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:34 am

Well unless it a typo yes.
I habe to ad.it in most PSC's Rich dies not use the term reinforcenents.
Are the first two able to be swapped /rotated that might be the difference?

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 am

It may be referring to replacements? There is a formula in AtSE:
(Dead+CO's rating/2)+1D6

I don't know the exact wording in the Gembloux Gap PSC but given there is two opportunities to replace entire the platoon I suspect this refers to something different.

calumma

Post by calumma » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 am

Replacements are mentioned separately and follow the standard AtSE rules.

Here's the text that mentions reinforcements (no page numbers, it's under Setting up the Campaign):

"The German player will begin the game with one platoon, but may replace that at the start of any game with a fresh platoon. They may do this twice only during the campaign. Once a platoon has been replaced; it may take no further part in the campaign. The Germans may also call for reinforcements once during the campaign."

There's something similar for the French, except platoons are replaced at specific points on the ladder. However, it also specifically states that no French reinforcements are available during the campaign.

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 am

ah I stand corrected. From reading that passage it sounds like there is a separate "reinforcement" force that can be called up. I may have to pick up this PSC to read it all in more depth!

DougM

Post by DougM » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 am

If you figure it out, let me know, I'm hoping to play scenario 1 on the 28th up at Kirrie, I think I will be playing the Germans, and I am trying to figure out a cunning plan!
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 am

I would have thought that the words should be interpreted naturally - ie replacement is a substitution for something lost or otherwise removed (ie the overall strength does not increase), whereas a reinforcement is an increase or upgrade (ie the overall strength improves).

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 am

I can't find any reference in the PSC to any additional German reinforcements, so I think the implication that there is one additional set of reinforcements for the Germans (at some stage alongside their opportunity to introduce two fresh platoons) is a typo.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny