Cavalry Scouting

Post by Tomm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 pm

Winter Storm has:

"CAVALRY
For each dismounted cavalry squad in your force
you roll 1d6 before the Patrol Phase begins. On a
score of 4,5,6 you gain one free Patrol Phase
move with any of your markers."

That's dismounted cavalry squads. What about mounted ones? One assumes that mounted troops would actually be good about getting into position for deployment even faster and thus further forward.

Truscott Trotter

Re: Cavalry Scouting

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi Tomm you need to ask the author of that supplement that question directly methinks.

Personally I agree although most people would think it insane to deploy mounted troops at the close ranges in CoC - I intend to have at least 1 section mounted for my Japanese, EW German and Soviet forces :D

You may want to consider using instead the cavalry rules from the new official Blitzkrieg supplement, which include in part -
When deploying onto the table, mounted troops may add an addition 3” to the distance from the
Jump-Off Point they may deploy whether they are deploying mounted or dismounted.

rim66

Post by rim66 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 am

Hi Tomm,

Yes, I'd allow it for mounted as well.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Ta, Richard.

I'm busy reading a new book on Soviet Cavalry Operations of WW2, and it intrigues. They talk about firing SMGs from the saddle, but I imagine the accuracy of that would be so atrocious it wouldn't even count as Covering Fire!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 pm

That would depend on whether they were moving or not, either way the horse would not be happy. 😀

What book are you reading?

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 pm

John Harel, Soviet Cavalry Operations during the Second World War. I got it on kindle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soviet-Cavalry ... =1-1-fkmr2

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm

I only knew about it, because he posted on his FB about having published it. And I only knew that because I got a random friend request from him seeing one of my random wargames group postings! But I can see a whole lot of scenarios or maybe a PSC involving the 1st Guards Cavalry Corps, and General Belov.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for that I have a fair amount of information on Soviet Cavalry but had not seen that particular one.

Most of the time of course they used the horses for tactical and strategic mobility, but, I do have a couple of accounts of them fighting mounted.

jony663

Post by jony663 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm

I will have to take a look at that. Working on a German Horse Platoon for 1939/40

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:23 am

either way the horse would not be happy.
And even if the horse is happy, you can't tell the b....r to stop breathing while you aim. Consequently any fire from the saddle is going to be wildly inaccurate. Soviet manuals and equipment solutions were notorious for being written/designed by people who had never used such equipment in anger. That has to be considered in any analysis of Soviet official tactics in the early stages of the war.

On the positive side, this approach led to the creation of a cornucopia of bizarre if pretty much useless contraptions, just crying out to be modelled :D. One of my favourites must be the anti-tank horse. Basically an anti tank rifle mounted on a pintle attached to the saddle of a small horse/pony. To fire the gun, fixed along the axis of the horse during transport, the horse was positioned sideways onto the approaching panzer and the rifle was swung out to the side. The gunner then, presumably, asked the horse politely to stay still and stop breathing while he took aim (standing on the ground). The panzer gunner, presumably overcome by his love of animals, would refrain from turning the whole team, presenting an unmissable target, into chopped dog food.

The actual close-up scouting (the sort you can do on a wgames table) by cavalrymen would be done on foot. The horse was just a quicker way to get them to their jumping-off point. Horses are big, noisy and vulnerable. On a very few occasions, a few dim-witted officers on both sides, who thought time had shifted backwards by a hundred years or so, sent mounted vedettes during the first days of the Polish Campaign. Needless to say, this resulted in the almost immediate if picturesque death of the hapless scouts. There is a reason why scout units in cavalry formations were nearly always mounted on bicycles.