Shabby Nazi Tricks

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Shabby Nazi Tricks

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 am

As we are about to start a EW campaign and I am playing the lads in fieldgrau I was wondering on the usefulness of these (before spending $ on suitable figures)

I have seen a few people attempt the SNT No 1 with varying degrees of success but not any of the others.

Has anyone tried these?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
TT

Levi the Ox

Re: Shabby Nazi Tricks

Post by Levi the Ox » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:22 am

Civilians and Nuns with Guns are very useful when attacking to force the defender to deploy to deal with them at little risk to your troops. I usually bluff with them personally, but mixing in a concealed infantry team now and again will keep your opponents guessing. The figures are also reusable for all sorts of other scenarios, which is a big plus.

A Fifth Columnist can be clutch if the opponent's plan hinges on activating certain support teams, like engineers, or if their force doesn't have a second senior leader (or where the second is inferior, like many French formations). You can also just repurpose a spare Allied officer figure for this: I have a British captain who shows up to give orders contrary to whatever my opponent's French Lieutenant wants to do! Is he actually a fifth columnist, incompetent, or is this all just a misunderstanding? Who can say?

Jean Claude is more-or-less just a sniper. I'm playing one of the 4-squad platoons so I'm stretched for activation dice as-is, so haven't bothered.

Lastly, beware your opponents Franc-Tireurs locking down a key JoP!

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 am

SNT is a bit Hit & Miss but I find combined with a Pre Game Barrage, it works well. I used both in a game of Gembloux Gap on Monday and basically shut down 2 JOPs of my French opponent, forcing him to use his left flank one and permitting my Grenadiers to push forward on his right. Accrual of CoC points and section movement then meant I was in a position to capture a JOP and deny another while my LeIG was pounding his MMG and another section took out the Tromblons. Amazingly, when my lead section was assaulted by a larger (and non shocked) French Poilu Groupe, I won the CQB and sent them scurrying down the road.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks Levi - I was thinking of using a Brit officer as buying a single French one is a bit expensive for something only used occasionally
The Civilians threatening JOP's without risking a 2 man section to distant fire is not something I had considered - makes the cost of a pack of Civvies a little more bearable

Hi Pete
Which one did you try - sounds like No1 option 2?

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:44 am

Yep, option 1.2 is the one I find best. Used Option 1.1 at first but it has its limitations, so I tried 1.2 and IMHO it is better. The PGB is a useful first option, then a little misdirection helps the process. You just need any figure really, I tend to use a French Gendarme but I have used a French officer or a greatcoated civvy carrying a briefcase (Deuxieme Bureau?).

bob696

Post by bob696 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:28 am

Stuka plus SNT 1.2 (blocking a JoP) can really close a game down.
Playing "THE CULVERTS AT NOIRMONT" I threw the perfect ambush dice of 1,1,3,3,4. What appeared was a single 3 man team with 3 shock on it.
Playing "BLITZ ON VILLEROUX" I got a tank on ....that was it before the germans had sauntered across the table and won

THe Old Gaffer

Post by THe Old Gaffer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:31 pm

I use my bailed tank crew figures from IABSM. I too am loath to spend on figures that may not get used so I doubt I will ever get use to use civilians.