Gegbirgsjäger/Highlanders

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Sean O'leary

Gegbirgsjäger/Highlanders

Post by Sean O'leary » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:58 am

Hey as this my first post, I would first like to thank the creators for letting me join, second i would like to introduce my myself I recently got into this game and I find accurate to platoon sized infantry combat it truly is a fantastic game. Now with that of the way on to my question are there ever going to be lists for Gegbirgsjäger specifically early, mid and late war for Russia they are elite troops and I'm really big fan of them next the Highlanders as a descended of the Clan Cameron I would really like to see these crazy scotsmen on the field, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.
sincerely Sean O'leary

Truscott Trotter

Re: Gegbirgsjäger/Highlanders

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:14 am

G'day Sean,

Welcome aboard

As far as the Gerbils yes there will be lists - the first official one for them in 1940 is in the new Blitzkrieg supplement found here
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/cha ... df-bundle/
However, they are not rated elite in this game.

The Scots are a different matter. I fully intend to paint up a section (at least) in kilts to represent the Camerons in my 1940 BEF platoon
They will have same stats as any other BEF but I just want to have them in for 'colour'

Cheers
TT

Sean O'leary

Post by Sean O'leary » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 am

Ok I'm after late war highlander lists

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 am

There is one IIRC in the Scottish Corridor pint sized campaign, not sure they are any different than standatd late war Brits at this point.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 am

I recall from years ago that the highland regiments put their kilts in storage prior to going on active service. Highland troops would have been organized like English troops. Kilted pipers were arranged by wealthy officers or the men of officers mess. For example, Bill Millen was Lord Lovat's personal piper.
If you want to recall the exploits of the Cameronians, then I suggest you look at WW1-M&B or CofC for WW1.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:24 am

I have 6 pictures of them in Kilts in WW2.

They famously disobeyed the command.

One picture shows clothes made by Frenchwomen after Dunkirk with Cameronean tarten.

Also in the Cameron museum there is an actual kilt worn in WW2 on display.

Yup have had this disussion maybe 5 or 6 times on WW2 forums 😀

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:43 am

PS talking 1940 here if you are referring to 1944 then yes you are correct no kilts apart from the odd piper and the Para officer in the Arnhem photo.

I reckon there should be a piper rule.
+1" per dice for forward movement for the Scots
-1" per dice movement for everyone else.
+1 to your force moral for shootung a piper 😉

Sean O'leary

Post by Sean O'leary » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:12 am

pipers adding to force morale was what was think and i also thought there could be a rule for the how do I put it full on intensity of the Scottish regiments similar to the royal marines and the paras

Razor1988

Post by Razor1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Hey Sean, I am also interested in doing a Gegbirgsjager platoon, as for lists, already mentioned is the early war list, its the only one that is officially available, though the Cocaculator lets you make most platoons so should be pretty easy. The term "Elite" is reserved for very very few units in CoC, normally these veterans are better displayed on the board as "regulars" with one, maybe two, special rules. I think the Gegbirgsjager in the blitzkrieg supplement for example, have a rule that lets them move through rough ground better, simple, fluffy, but not game breaking.
The scots I know little about, but sounds like a cool force! I would suggest the same thing, keep them as regulars but maybe add in just one or two rules, maybe give them the aggressive rule, and then for the piper, make it a support choice for 1 or 2 points, let them be activated to ignore a morale check (like a CoC dice)?

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 am

One of the video batreps I watched used a piper to represent the "Drinks Cabinet" support choice from the 1940 Handbook.