Blitzkreig German support lists

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Blitzkreig German support lists

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:24 am

Can you use Schützen Support list with a Motorcycle recce unit from a Panzer Division?
The relevant parts of text p 96 and 98 read

The Motorcycle Reconnaissance platoon may select supports from either the Motorised Infantry
support list, or any of the Panzer Division support lists, including the Motorcycle Reconnaissance Support List below.

Panzer Division Support Lists
The following support lists may be used by any units within the Panzer Divisions.

Generic Schützen Support
The following List may be used by any Schützen unit and combined with other Panzer Division
support lists.

poiter50

Re: Blitzkreig German support lists

Post by poiter50 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:21 am

The Schutzen are a component of the Panzer Divisiins, so yes.

Joe Neg

Post by Joe Neg » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 am

TT,

Concur with poiter50 - yes. In 1940, Schutzen were the dedicated motorized infantry in Panzer divisions.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:38 am

No worried about the Shutzen it is the Motorcycle troops I am interested in and their suppprt options

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:48 am

Yes, if that motorcycle recce unit is part of that Panzer Division. According to Tip of the Spear, 3 Pz Div had a Kradschutzen Bn in 2 Schutzen Brigade as an example.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:53 am

Righto so if I designate my M/c Recce as belonging to a Pzr Div I get to choose support from the Motor list, motor recce list or the Shutzen list?
Trying to squeeze in that Panzeraeger I 😁

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:23 am

From the 1940 handbook;
Panzer Divisions fielded the same but with an additional motorcycle battalion with two companies of motorcycle mounted infantry and a further two companies of heavier support weapons, making them a hardhitting unit.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:26 am

Brrrm-brrrn! 😃

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Trying to squeeze in that Panzeraeger I 😁
AFAIK no German divisions contained Panzerjaeger 1. For the French campaign (and pretty much always) they were in independent anti-tank battalions (4 in the French Campaign), whose job in 1940 was to counter heavy French tanks. Historically, therefore, you would be justified in including these if your enemy insists on fielding Char Bs. The minimal strength should be a platoon of (nominally) 3 panzerjaegers supported by a HQ (Kfz 12, motorcycle with sidecar and a solo motorbike) and an ammo section (2 SdKfz 10 - probably 2 trucks in reality, but that's just my suspicion).

Joe Neg

Post by Joe Neg » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:48 pm

TT,

Surely the leader of your Kampfgruppe is THE favored nephew of an army commander - who having been assigned a mission critical to the outcome of the campaign - has assured that you get WHATEVER you need to accomplish the mission! ;o)

At the beginning of the campaign there were three, Pzjgr I batteries of 6 guns each. More came online as the campaign progressed. At least one of them saw action with the 10th Panzer Division and I.R. Grossdeutschland in the battles around Stonne.

Seems to me that one of them can be on temporary assignment to your unit. Cheers