Selecting British Airborne Section with 2 LMGs from Support list?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Seret

Re: Selecting British Airborne Section with 2 LMGs from Support list?

Post by Seret »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 pm
The problem I foresee is the coculator costs out the basic core platoon differently than the support points cost.
It also can't be used at all to cost infantry squads and teams. The CoCulator works out the costs of whole platoons, vehicles and towed guns. It can't work out the cost of individual squads and support options like MGs, flamethrowers and engineers.

The only way to cost those up is to compare them to an existing option and then shift them up or down a bit based on your judgement.

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG »

Seret wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am

The only way to cost those up is to compare them to an existing option and then shift them up or down a bit based on your judgement.
Yup … absolutely. So how does all this sound ??

We have determined that the Rifle Squad and the MG Squad are logical supports for a US Armd Inf Platoon. As both these squads can come from other platoons within the company or even other companies within the same battalion (or others).

An existing option is the US Infantry Squad. This is List 4 in the Book. The Cocalulator costs these as 22pts. Meanwhile the Armd Inf Squad is costed as 20 points … so List 4 for US Armd Inf Squad looks reasonable. The US MG Squad costs the same as a Inf Squad so it looks like List 4 as well. As a comparison the Panzer Grenadiers (with 5 more firepower and more offensive possibilities) are List 5. So judgement indicates that US MG Squad should be less … i.e. List 4.

Steve
There's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore. ... Neil Armstrong

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Firstly I like the excel spreadsheet but I am not sure thats what Rich uses to calculate support points
Anyway
The German (28) and Brit Paras (25) 2 LMG sections come in at list 5 and the US(24) now at 4 - I had the paras SJL at 8 and used the same figure when calculating the US AI MG section.
NB this is assuming the US LMG on a tripod is ROF 8 nt 10

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

It just be me being a grumpy old man (or pre-operation anxiety becoming manifest, as I go under the knife yet again tomorrow), but I'm finding this whole conversation appearing gamier and gamer every time I return to it. I'm running US Armored at MOAB in a bit over two weeks' time, and I will definitely not be adding in a squad of two more .30 cals as a support option in any of the games.

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG »

oozeboss wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:50 am
I'm running US Armored at MOAB in a bit over two weeks' time, and I will definitely not be adding in a squad of two more .30 cals as a support option in any of the games.
If you have time before going under the knife, would love to hear why you think any of these support options are gamey. This thread is about answering John Bond's question on exactly that.

Regardless …. I trust the op goes well mate ….. you should almost be an expert at these things now.

Steve
There's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore. ... Neil Armstrong