Leaders as Crew Members

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Last Hussar

Leaders as Crew Members

Post by Last Hussar »

I'm sure I've asked this before (poss on the Yahoo group), and Rich said yes, but following a dispute at my club....

Can a Leader act as a crew member? eg a MG loses all but one crew (the gunner). A leader is stood with the group. Can he act as loader to avoid the negative dice modifier?

Archdukek

Re: Leaders as Crew Members

Post by Archdukek »

Rich has definitely said "yes" before to a Leader acting as crew for an LMG.
Some of us think this should result in a loss in Command Initiative for the Leader, but I'm pretty sure that Rich doesn't.
John

Last Hussar

Post by Last Hussar »

Cheers - I also think it should be a loss of at least one- he has to spend an action being the gunners mate.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

I'd be inclined to agree that a Leader shouldn't be able to be a leader if he's doing something like that. I gather the reason why Leaders were issued pistols, smgs and other short-ranged (or personal defence) weapons was to encourage them to concentrate on leading and not on fighting, at least until the point came where leadership was less important than an extra weapon in the firing line.

sunjester

Post by sunjester »

I know Rich has said a junior leader whose section is wiped out can act as a spare crewman for another unit. I'd agree that if he is doing so for the lmg in his own section he couldn't use leader initative as well. In fact he should only be allowed to do so if there was no-one else left to act as No2 on the gun.

Graham

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

We played a game the other night where every member of a crew of an ATG was killed except the leader. It kept plugging away without penalty. That doesn't seem quite right....

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

You mean without penalty to his leadership or are you talking the gu had no penalty despite having only 1 man crewing?
Or both?