Korea

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

IronDuke1813

Korea

Post by IronDuke1813 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:30 pm

With the new figures being released for the Korean War supplement of a certain other World War II-themed game, is anyone else thinking about recreating the actions of the "Forgotten War" with Chain of Command? Has anyone gone down this road already?

Cheers,

Andrew

Petek

Re: Korea

Post by Petek » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Yes, I have always had an interest in Korea and Vietnam. I have run some Korean War games (20mm) using another rule set in the past and do plan to use CoC (even Big CoC) in the future with our group. CoC should work very well as it is for Korea. Some of the National Characteristics should transpose quite readily, such as "Handgranaten" for the Chinese.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:12 am

All,ways thought about Korea as another war to play

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah but who wants to paint 120 Chinese?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 am

More like 220 TT not me but do like era

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:05 am

Korea is a war that interests me greatly and would be a seamless fit with Chain of Command. I've been working on lists for this war for a couple of years now but have been distracted by the China-Burma-Pacific theatre. The US went into the war with a very different squad and platoon organisation to that of WW2 while the US Marines kept the tried and proven organisation they'd settled on in 1945. British & Commonwealth forces also seemed to have kept the same platoon and section organisation from WW2. The South Koreans followed the US TO&E, less most of the heavy weapons. The ROK war memorial has been most helpful in this area. I'm still trying to confirm information on the French, Belgians and Turks. The big difficulty has been the North Koreans and Chinese. The DRPK forces were trained by the Soviets and so most likely used the late war Soviet organisation. The PLA however, used their own organisation and I'm having trouble confirming what this was exactly.
Any help in this research would be most appreciated.
I think this would be a really good expansion for Chain of Command is Richard is interested 8-) .

naash

Post by naash » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Regarding the French battalion, it seems that it was organised like any US Army battalion.

According to my reading, all the “UN nations” battalions were integrated in US Infantry Regiments as a standard battalion.
It seems that there were no “national caracteristics” except the men... ;)

In the French battalion, men were assigned to companies according to their branch :
- 1 company : former airborne soldiers
- 1 company : former colonial soldiers
- 1 company : former other branches
- services and HQ : no specific origins

If you need more informations, feel free to ask. ;)