Firing over wheat field

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

JOHN BOND 001

Firing over wheat field

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 pm

Need clarification with diagram A and B:

A German team is firing over a large wheat field in which there are 3 areas of intact wheat and 2 areas where the wheat has been harvested.
Does this qualify for Hard cover as the firing is conducted over 3 light cover items or do we just class it as light cover?

A. In diagram A the targeted team has not moved.

thanks John

Truscott Trotter

Re: Firing over wheat field

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 pm

No that 3 items rule is for linear obsticles IIRC

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 am

Thanks TT :)

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am

Wheat fields are always tricky as the heighy and density depends on the time of year.

When setting up a table I always make sure to define crop fields so despite appearance there is no ambiguity.

CentralCoastCorsair

Post by CentralCoastCorsair » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 am

also note that modern (post 1950s) crop fields are generally shorter when compared to earlier agriculture

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:19 am

And watch out for former British Prime Ministers getting in the way.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_t ... s_of_wheat

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:33 am

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:19 am
And watch out for former British Prime Ministers getting in the way.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_t ... s_of_wheat
I look forward to seeing more models of small children in tabletop wheat fields in future - some kind of shabby trick?
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 am

According to page 32, third bullet point, “Where three or more types of light cover intervene between the firer and the target this should be considered hard cover.” There is no mention of linear obstacles. I would count them in hard cover. But this could change by scenario. Many of the PSC’s give crop fields no cover for moving troops, and light cover for stationary troops. Personally, I would rule that such PSC crop fields would only give light cover, unless other types of cover (linear obstacles, target/firer in woods, etc.) made up one or more of the three types in question.
I have about 2 tables worth of coir and AstroTurf mats, all cut into 8”x12” sections. My group of players sometimes rules each section of crop field as a “type” of light cover, even if placed next to each other. So I agree with TT that players should discuss terrain before the start of play.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:00 am

Indeed my bad I must have been getting mixed up with 'What a Tanker'

The problem I have with applying that in relation to johns original question is this:

If the distance between groups is say 12" and it is one piece of crop then clearly it is light cover.

Then you cut out 2 x 2" strips in that field making 3 smaller fields.

Still 12" between the two groups but with now only 8" of actual crop - yet the cover goes from light to hard- doubling their protection for having 1/4 less actual crops in the way.

I find that logic a bit hard to take.

In fact I actually prefer FOW method of saying no matter how many bits of light cover it is only light cover as it is about obscuring not stopping bullets
Anyone who has read about urban combat will remember the tales of wooden or even brick buildings where the bullets go straight through.

Personally I would prefer the following
Light cover - partially obscured- garden hedges, woods, orchards, low fences etc
heavy cover - largely obscured - wood edges, wooden/brick buildings, etc
Bullet proof cover - entrenchments, earth embankments, stone buildings etc - harder to kill again when shot at by light weapons (maybe ignore first kill?)

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:00 am
If the distance between groups is say 12" and it is one piece of crop then clearly it is light cover.

Then you cut out 2 x 2" strips in that field making 3 smaller fields.

Still 12" between the two groups but with now only 8" of actual crop - yet the cover goes from light to hard- doubling their protection for having 1/4 less actual crops in the way.

I find that logic a bit hard to take.
It is worrying when even the crops start being Machiavellian.