Pint-sized campaigns with 4 players?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

mikosevar

Pint-sized campaigns with 4 players?

Post by mikosevar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:37 am

Hi,

our group is starting to collect forces to play CoC. As a rule, we play once a week, and like to do games that we're all involved in together rather than splitting up on different table. We're considering to try the pint sized campaign (29th Let's Go stands out) with 4 instead of 2 players. We would change the table to 7' x 5', add an extra jump of point per side, and divide them among the 2 players, who each get a platoon. Support is divided by the 2 players on each side.
Would this work, or are we missing a few specifics here?

Cheers

Truscott Trotter

Re: Pint-sized campaigns with 4 players?

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 am

I think it would work there is a pdf for Big CoC covering multiplayer rules that might give you.some ideas

Ome thing to .ote in my experience with.mjltiplayer CoC it can take 4 hours plus until the players are experienced.
Its not just rules you have to get you head around but tactics too.

One option I have used is keeping the forces the same but simply sharing them amongst the players.
Alternate the throwing of CoC dice and decision making as to who gets what dice.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:08 am

Welcome to Chain of Command.

To be honest I wouldn’t go to all that trouble. I too am part of a small group who regularly play Chain of Command as 2v2 or 2v1 games and campaigns using a single platoon per side with the command divided between the players. I’m also umpiring an Operation Citadel campaign at my Club as a 2v2 setup without any problems.

Sometimes it can help to tweak the support options so that both sides have 2 Senior Leaders, one for each player, with an Adjutant selected to enable both to get on the table. You can then divide up the squads in the platoon and the supports between the players who can alternate rolling and allocating the Command Dice. The better team should then win. :)

I’d would be concerned that the approach you’ve suggested would imbalance the campaign by providing an overwhelming surfeit of resources to both sides. Part of the challenges of any Pint Sized Campaign is that of husbanding your resources and striking a balance between winning a scenario and the campaign as a whole. “29 Let’s Go” already favours the Americans by giving them a fresh platoon each game, but that’s accounted for in the campaign design. Throwing twice as many troops into the mix could overturn that balance.

John

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:35 pm

We routinely play 3/side games that are not Big CoC games. I run them at conventions as well. I see no reason why it couldn't work for a campaign. Each side has a commander who plans out the mission and assigns tasks to himself and his 'subordinates'. He assigns the forces and supports to each player that will allow him to accomplish his mission. The commander rolls the command dice and assigns the dice to each player. As long as the players are more interested in the game then in having something to do in each phase - it works very well.
Dick Bryant

docfin

Post by docfin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:31 pm

We played the Von Luck campaign and made the mistake of just doubling everything. The German forces ended up with I think 6 mobile artillery every campaign turn, and then just blasted there way across the table. One solution may be to an extra infantry 0 section to each platoon so each player has reasonable options if your playing on a larger table it could be intresting, and then tweek support as needed.

remgain

Post by remgain » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:55 pm

We are playing Koenigsberg campaign 2 platoons vs 2 platoons using Big CoC rules. As suggested by other forumists the support points are calculated normally than multiplied 1.5 times. In this way we obtain quite balanced games.

Marco
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw