JOP clarification

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: JOP clarification

Post by MLB »

I’m certain Rich clarified this somewhere. Move into contact with the JoP it is captured. No need to sit on it until turn end and if the enemy has not recaptured by turn end then it is removed. People have a tendency to keep a unit in contact to ensure it is not recaptured but if you’ve pushed your opponent back and recapture looks very unlikely then no need to waste a unit on guard duty until turn end. Seems reasonable.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I couldn't find it in the ,FAQ
Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield »

To re capture it you need to come to within 4" of it correct so if the enemy has moved off that is not a problem. What if they are still within 4" to one side of the JOP and you come to within 4"from the other side then both are within 4"of it who ones it now. Must he be eliminated or routed from JOP for your 4"to be seen as recapturing the JOP?
Seret

Post by Seret »

Greg Bradfield wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:25 pm To re capture it you need to come to within 4" of it correct
It says they have to move "onto" the JOP, which I would take to mean actually touching it.

If the enemy is still within 4" when you move troops back onto it then you still can't actually use the JOP until they're gone. Happily, there's a good chance moving that close would trigger close combat and you could see them off at the point of a bayonet.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I agree with Seret.
Moving within 4" does not allow the enemy to capture a JOP merely block its use, so why should moving within 4" allow a captured JOP to be recaptured? Makes no sense. Contact with the JOP is needed in both cases.

John
Truscott Trotter

Agreed
However, if you capture a JOP and then move off leaving no troops within 4" I see no reason rhat JOP cannot be used before the turn ends.

You are not locking a dungeon door its just a peice of terrain. . The O group may not even know its captured at this point. I assume the end of turn is sufficient break to get the message bacl that the JOP is no longer safe.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:13 pm Agreed
However, if you capture a JOP and then move off leaving no troops within 4" I see no reason rhat JOP cannot be used before the turn ends.

You are not locking a dungeon door its just a peice of terrain. . The O group may not even know its captured at this point. I assume the end of turn is sufficient break to get the message bacl that the JOP is no longer safe.
Because TT it clearly states in section 7.6, as quoted by John in his original post, that a captured JOP cannot be used for the remainder of the turn.

John
Truscott Trotter

Hi John
Yup am aware of the wording and the interpretation that as it does not specifically say you have to stay on it to capture it and that means you can play tag with it and move away leaving it 'magically' shut down until the end of the turn.

However playing the period not the rules it makes far more sense to me that you have to make some effort to actually shut down the JOP and have time for the enemy to be aware that it is no longer safe to use that deployment route.

I have read many accounts of troops apparently clearing the enemy from an area only to move off and have them pop up behind them in what was supposed to be safe areas.

YMMV.

Cheers
TT
Seret

Post by Seret »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:13 pm You are not locking a dungeon door its just a peice of terrain. . The O group may not even know its captured at this point.
O group should know it's been captured, they're aware of the location of any troops the enemy has deployed. That's what deploying troops in CoC means, they go from being concealed to revealed.

Once the JOP is suspect, you have to dispatch troops to confirm that it is in fact ok. That seems totally ok from the "period not rules" perspective to me, it's what a real platoon commander would do. You wouldn't just assume "oh, it's been ages since the enemy were seen near that infiltration route, and we can't see them now. I'm sure they've not done something unpleasant like set an ambush and have instead wandered off". No, you'd send some guys to carefully check it out and report back to you.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:00 am I couldn't find it in the ,FAQ
No, it was his reply to comment on Facebook or in the forum. One side overrruns the JoP, the other side is aware the JoP is no longer secure and so it is effectively lost (ie captured). Even if not physically ‘occupied’ the enemy has been known to have been there, so until it can be secured it won’t be used. To re-use it would require men to be dispatched to make it secure (in CoC terms, until it is recaptured). Seems reasonable enough.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top