HE and Large Stuctures

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

HE and Large Stuctures

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Moving from whether rubble from stone buildings is heavy or light cover.
(although leaving myself and Mike out the vote is Hard=6 and Light=0 here and on the FB)

So a large building like a monastery or church. Rules from book below.
10.3.6 H.E. AGAINST BUILDINGS
H.E. fire from direct fire weapons or mortars will reduce any cover the target is in by one level. However, it will also potentially damage the structure.
A building will become unstable if any gun firing H.E. rolls three 6’s in a single Phase when rolling to hit the building or a Unit in it. Troops in an unstable building must evacuate the building before the end of the Turn. If they fail to do so before the Turn ends, they will roll 1D6 for each man inside the structure, losing one man to falling rubble for every 6 rolled. Any survivors will then be placed immediately outside any door of the building of their opponent’s choosing.
If four or more 6’s are rolled when rolling to hit the target, the structure will begin to collapse. Troops in a collapsing building will roll 1D6 for each man inside the structure, losing one man to falling rubble for every 5 or 6 rolled. Any survivors will then be placed immediately outside any door of the building of their opponent’s choosing.
I think this brings up a couple of questions.

Destruction: Can you destroy a large building in one phase of fire not withstanding the rules above. A church can easily be more than 4-5 times the size of a residential building. If not, how would you do this?
Movement: Specifically in rubble. Should it be regular going or slower?
LOS: How long should of LOS be blocked after a large building is destroyed. No effect, Next Phase, next turn?

Thanks,

John

Trying to prepare myself for the next table in the Von Luck Scenario that is not going well for the Brits.

Seret

Re: HE and Large Stuctures

Post by Seret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 pm

John, there's also a bit in the rulebook that suggests breaking large buildings into sections. For a decent sized church I think splitting the tower from the rest of it makes sense, church spires used to get knocked down all the time to prevent them being used as artillery OPs.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I thought there was Andy, but I ac not seem to find it. Which section.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Found it, if this is your reference.

From 8.3.2
Vehicles firing H.E. at a building can fire at any point on the building they can see to inflict casualties on any men inside. For large buildings over 9” square the tank must be able to fire directly at the area of the building occupied by enemy troops in order to hit them
Size: So I think my church (the Italeri one) is at least 2 sections.
Movement: No on the double seems to be reasonable.
LOS:?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:03 pm

John,
I would define moving in the rubble as equivalent to moving on a rocky slope which is treated as Heavy Going, losing 1" off each movement dice as well as preventing moving At the Double (Section 7.2).

There is nothing in the rules about how long a collapsed building stirs enough dust to block LOS or when the ruins can be occupied, but for a large building I would say next Turn. Certainly more than the 10-20 seconds a phase represents.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:46 pm

I agree with John on the heavy going but as for the smoke and dust and reoccupy I would KISS and just make it the following phase or at most next pair of phases.

Dividing them into 9x6 segments seems a sensible houserule. Again you are just trying to add a bit of flavour to your game not make a simulation of demlotions.

Otherwise you have an opponent sitting there for an hour or so firing to try and bring down a building and you keeping track of ammo supply.....not fun!