British Airborne special rule.?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

JOHN BOND 001

British Airborne special rule.?

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:17 am

The British Airborne Section has the following special rule listed in the Rule book,
a)Is it a free option or does it have to be costed to be included in a Airborne Section via the Force Rating calculator?
b)Is this included in the Kampfgruppeon Luck campaign scenario?

Quackstheking

Re: British Airborne special rule.?

Post by Quackstheking » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:25 am

The special rule is not in the KCVL campaign and whilst the Brits paras are rated as "Elite" therein, they only get 5 command dice. Having played a few Market Garden scenarios for the forthcoming supplement, we have never applied the special rule or indeed a 6th dice.

I think following all his reading on Market Garden, Rich is even reconsidering whether the paras should be elite as the leadership left something to be desired. However they would be aggressive in melee.

In addition, I suspect to represent their "never say die" approach, a future Para morale track will keep the paras at 5 dice for longer and reduce dice more slowly to represent their higher morale.!

Don

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 am

It is free although Rich may have costed it in his published Force rating

I don't have access to the coculator to check but I suspect unless there is a cost for superior JL's..

Personally when I read I thought wow fantastic I am always rolling 3 or 4 4's for my Soviets with 1 SL now I can use em. But in 12 or so games I used the rule about twice 🙄

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:46 pm

We are playing Von Luck with 5 dice and no Leader special rule. They are otherwise Elite, Agressive and have 9" CR.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 am
I don't have access to the coculator to check but I suspect unless there is a cost for superior JL's..
Nothing official, but IIRC Rich did suggest counting them as 7pts instead of the normal 6? I can't find the reference to that though.

I know Rich often doesn't bother to include a cost for small extra rules such the above one, or things like "Ronson" for vehicles.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Yes Rich tends not to cost in rules which may only be of fleeting benefit in a game.
As for KVL campaign, given the background to the Paras drop and their disorganisation, I'd say you should ignore it in that case as the men may be operating in what are ad hoc units.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Peronally I think this rule reflects the training and performance of the NCO's in this case my reading of the battle was that they permormed very well ie lots if dead/wounded officers but the men completed thwir objectives anyway.

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:08 am

We are playing a Polish para platoon as Regular in our preparation games for MOAB, and their access to this rule & being Aggressive makes them far far deadlier than Regular Panzergrenadiers. Both Dare (who plays with them) and I think that both rules have massive upsides which should be factored into their Platoon Force Rating (as Regs, this is +2 compared to +3 for the PG's).
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:16 am

Yes a 50-% increase for elite seems to cover it but for regulars maybe adding +1 or 2 to the cost of a JL might do it?
I agree aggressive (and stubborn) is not factored in to the coculator and prob should be at maybe +10 or +15%?

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:20 am

We both think that their PFF should be +4 to allow for their enhanced performance capabilities (it's brilliant when 3's & 4's can activate sections with three commands).
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill