Movement near the edge of a woods.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Re: Movement near the edge of a woods.

Post by oozeboss » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 am

And bad luck if it's Corporal Magoo that's acting as your spotter!
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 am

Tomm wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 pm
I suppose one could instruct the troops to "advance until you can just see out of the forest.". But I'd probably only allow it with a 1d6 movement, where they're taking their time and being cautious.
I like that idea. Having done quite a bit of crawling about and hiding in my time, I would suggest you instinctively know when you can or cannot be seen. The edges of woods are typically covered by bushes and thick undergrowth, so there is plenty of space to hide. And since you are in a darker place benefitting from your camo fatigues and the undergrowth it seems obvious to me that you can be in a position to see out into a well-lit open area without yourself being visible. Of course the sound of breaking twigs might give you away and your enemy will already be at their highest state of combat alert.

You might play it that you can only stop prior to the 4” limit when the troops are advancing tactically. I would also suggest that green or poorly trained troops/ militias are incapable of keeping sufficient discipline, so cannot hide at this 4” limit.

I seem to recall Big Rich using the 4” limit to his advantage in one of the online videos, perhaps in a Sharp Practice game, where I believe the rule also applies.

In practice troops would often spray woods thought to contain enemy “prophylactically”, with MG or autocannon fire. But I can’t recall this being in the rules and am not sure whether it is desirable to attempt to represent it on the table.
Last edited by Contrarius on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:34 am

The rule is if your within 4" if the edge of the wood you can see out and be seen.

If you are outside of 4" you cannot be see if see out.

I assume the OP wanted to top at 4.0001" so they could not be seen but anyone moving into the edge of the woods.to see them goes straight into close combat at a disadvantage?

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:02 am

The 4-inch mark is purely arbitrary. In dense woods it might be 2 inches, in looser ones 10 inches or perhaps 10.78 inches. For simplicity the rules define it for all woods as 4 inches. I have no problem with that.

I also have no problem with troops who are inside a wood being able to stay out of sight of troops who are outside the wood. They are in an asymmetric situation: the troops outside are in direct sunlight thus easier to spot, those inside are in shade and obscured by foliage. Perhaps they have a single spotter able to see out while the bulk of the unit remain hidden and unable to fire. Clearly to be in this situation the troops in the wood would have to be in “tactical” mode or similar, so 1D6 movement would apply. If they are not advancing tactically then I agree, the distance moved should reflect the dice roll and they should not be able to stop until reaching the wood’s edge.