Movement near the edge of a woods.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

JOHN BOND 001

Movement near the edge of a woods.

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Another clarification, thanks in advance ,John

In this example the German section is in woods and desires to move 2 inches but be outside the 4" zone so that it cannot be seen and uses only 1 movement dice rolling a 5,

YES/NO It must more the total movement rolled?
YES/NO Since it can define the edge of the woods it can opt to use only 2"of movement to stay outside the "see and can be seen zone"?

john de terre neuve

Re: Movement near the edge of a woods.

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:15 am

This is my opinion and how we play it, always happy to be corrected

It must more the total movement rolled? NO
Since it can define the edge of the woods it can opt to use only 2"of movement to stay outside the "see and can be seen zone"? YES

Munin

Post by Munin » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:57 am

We play it exactly the opposite - you could define "the edge of the woods" as a stopping point because it's (relatively) easy to determine for the men involved. But "an arbitrary depth in the woods where I can't be seen"? No, IMO that's not in the spirit of the movement rule.

For an example of why, take the forest away and replace it with a LOS-blocking obstacle. Say there's the corner of a building between your unit and your opponent's unit. You're in the open more than 24" away from the building, but if you move more than about 4" to the side, you'll clear a corner and be within LOS of the enemy MMG that's lurking alongside the building. If you said, "I want to move to the side but I don't want to get into your MMG's LOS," that would be pretty ridiculous in CoC. It would be like saying, "I want to move 2d6 forward, but I want to stop outside 24" because I don't want to be in close range for your MMG." Also ridiculous.

Troops on the field often don't know when they can or can't be seen (especially if they aren't experts in "the art of how not to be seen" and hide behind the only bush in the field ;) ), so trying to limit your movement in such a way that you're splitting hairs - especially if you're not crossing a barrier or boundary in the process, just "a different spot in the woods" - then I think you're gaming the system.

Move your full distance rolled and eat the consequences. Maybe declare "the edge of the woods" as your maximum move so that at least you'll still be getting light cover.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:23 am

I play same as Munin

MLB

Post by MLB » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:35 am

I’m with TT and Munin. The rules require the declared destination to be a clear piece of terrain. 4” from the edge of the wood line is not a clear piece of terrain, more an arbitrary distance that only really exists for game mechanic purposes.

Look at it this way. The JL issues the order to move, but at that point the JL cannot see the edge of the wood and in fact may not even know where it is. The JL cannot know there are enemy units visible from there either. There seems no viable command he can give other than to move in a particular direction. If he’s wary of trouble he can tell the men to advance cautiously (tactically) and not to leave the cover of the woods so that they would stop their move at the tree line but that’s about as much control as you should have.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:08 am

While the edge of the woods is a defined point in the landscape which you could stop at, the 4" boundary is not so you cannot stop there and must move the full distance rolled. It's exactly the same situation as crossing a field, you can stop at the field boundaries but not at some arbitrary point in the field measured from them.

John

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 am

I agree with Munin - the edge of the woods is a defined point. It's the same as saying in a field I want to move forward but remain out of short range!

Don

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 am

Always happy to be corrected!

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:47 am

Ok so the 3 US troopers are in a ploughed field and just rolled a 6 on 1D6 for movement, so they have 5" of movement, The player decides to only move the figures only 3" just outside the 2" "seen can be seen zone" from the tall Rural Hedge, he says he can see the hedge therefore he can calculate how far he needs to go to stay outside this zone.
I would presume that he has to move what is rolled and move the whole 5"!
Your thoughts?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Yup in RL its hard enough getting troops to stop on the correct side of the correct terrain feature let alone anything.more subtle.
Also we have a hard and fast rule for the sighting range to be exactly 2" or 4" but in RL it is never that exact.