Four Command Dice Platoon? Coculator cost?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

robert.hurley@me.com

Four Command Dice Platoon? Coculator cost?

Post by robert.hurley@me.com » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:44 am

The British "Rear Echelon" LoC platoon (four command dice, force rating -10) in the Blitzkrieg Supplement got me thinking.
Can you "elect" to reduce your command dice from five to four to represent a poor quality platoon? The kicker obviously being this will reduce the force rating (allowing more supports - albeit these supports will be difficult to use with only four dice).
If so, how do you calculate the cost?

Archdukek

Re: Four Command Dice Platoon? Coculator cost?

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm

The number of Command Dice is best retained at 5 unless there is a very compelling historical reason or scenario requirement to change it. So I would say no you cannot "elect" to field your platoon at 4 Dice. A poor quality platoon is better represented by adjusting the Force Morale dice roll and/or fielding it as green troops I would suggest.

The November 2017 version of the CoCulator suggests that a platoon's calculated Force Rating should be reduced by -2 if it has 4 Command Dice or increased by +2 if 6 dice. Neither adjustment reflects the impact on the game of such a change in my view. A 4 command dice platoon will seriously struggle to activate its core platoon let alone manage any supports. Definitely not reccomended.

John

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:08 pm

An extra red dice is costed at 2 points in the Blitzkrieg handbook, and that’s not a full value standard dice which contributes to turn ends and the like. That’s for a nominal 20 percent improvement. The reduction from 5 to 4 is an immediate drop of 25% and that is full value standard dice. I suspect it should be Coc-costed at —4 or —5 pts, if not even more.

There’s nothing at all preventing you from taking this reduction voluntarily, for example to represent a useless c/o. Personally I’d demand at least an extra full strength squad or decent tank plus other advantages, such as entrenchments, to make up for the difference. :ugeek:

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Archdukek wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm

The November 2017 version of the CoCulator suggests that...
Where would one find this coculator?

Also why is it so difficult to find the coculator in the first place and why isn't it a proper document?

siggian

Post by siggian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 pm

See the second pinned article here in this branch of the forum

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 pm

It is a proper document and here is a link to the original which you will find on page 12 of the thread which siggian pointed to.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQYXL ... NpcTg/view

John

robert.hurley@me.com

Post by robert.hurley@me.com » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Sorry, but I can't see any reference in the Coculator link shown, that shows how to calculate the cost/force rating of a four or six dice platoon.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:38 pm

There is none

The reduction or increase in dice normally goes with the reduction or increase in moral eg Green or Elite
This change is sufficient to reflect the dice also
as in
Green troops reduce their points value by a third - so a regular platoon rated 90 points would become 60 when Green.
Elite troops add a third to their score. So they would be 120 points if Elite.

The coculator is not official more 'semi-official' as Rich released it due to nagging from the players who wanted to create their own lists.
No 'semi-official' provision for just adjusting a dice without changing the levels AFAIK

robert.hurley@me.com

Post by robert.hurley@me.com » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 am

Truscott - thank you for clarifying things (and that the Coculator is only semi-official) - it makes more sense now. Your suggested work around for using the calculation for Green troops works for me.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 am

robert.hurley@me.com wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:32 pm
Sorry, but I can't see any reference in the Coculator link shown, that shows how to calculate the cost/force rating of a four or six dice platoon.
That's because the link is to the original version published by Rich in March 2015 which is silent on the subject of Command Dice. It was subsequently the subject of discussion here on the Forum and a tidied up version of the CoCulator reflecting those discussions was published by Andy Duffell (Seret) on his excellent tinyhordes blog in November 2017 which is the version I use. I've finally managed to track down a link to it which I hope will work:

http://tinyhordes.com/cocfaq/index.php? ... artlang=en

I disagree with TT that the points adjustment for Green or Elite troops already reflects the change in Command Dice number. It was established long ago that not all Green troops should have 4 Command Dice and not all Elites should have 6. Indeed Rich emphasised the latter point that 6 CD should be very rare in the latest FAQ. However, if you want to assume that go ahead.

John