Strengthening and cosolidating defences

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Greg Bradfield

Strengthening and cosolidating defences

Post by Greg Bradfield » Fri May 31, 2019 2:22 pm

I know this has been dealt with before but I just can't seem to find a clear thread where I can get clarity.
I thought I understood it but now I've lost it.

Scenario 1

Player one wins campaign turn one on table one. He wins campaign turn 2 on table 2 and therefore needs to move to table 3 for campaign turn 3. He chooses to strengthen defenses handing initiative to player two to counter attack.

Q1 - does player one strengthen defenses on table 2 or table 3? (my thought is table 2)
Q2 - does the campaign turn stay at 3 or does it move to turn 4? (my thought is 3)

Scenario 2

Player one wins campaign turn one on table one. He wins campaign turn 2 on table 2 and therefore needs to move to table 3 for campaign turn 3. He chooses to strengthen defenses handing initiative to player two who chooses not to counter attack but rather strengthen his defenses too.

Q1 - does player one strengthen defenses on table 2 or table 3? (my thought is table 2)
Q2 - which table does player two strengthen defenses on. (my thought is table 2)
Q3 - does the campaign turn stay at 3 or does it move to turn 4 or now turn 5? (my thought is it moves to 4 now as no one attacked and moved forward)
Q4 - In this scenario no player attacked and moved forward so a initiative roll is required.

Lastly what is the difference between strengthening and consolidating as the only difference I can see is that consolidating can only happen once the opponents main defenses have been captured table 3 and then it is a form of strengthening defenses on his old main defensive line.

I know this is long winded hope you all get the just of it.

Thanks
Greg

OldNick

Re: Strengthening and cosolidating defences

Post by OldNick » Fri May 31, 2019 2:37 pm

S1
Q1 - table 2, it is the furthest they control
Q2 - CT3 is spent strengthening defences, therefore the next game is played as CT4

S2
Q1 - table 2 as above
Q2 - table 3, it is the furthest they control
Q3 - I don’t think this is defined in the rules.
Technically I am not sure that they can both strengthen at the same time, but logically they could.
Given that, I would probably rule that they both strengthen on turn 3, but I could be persuaded otherwise.
Q4 - When player 2 fail to use the initiative, but instead strengthens, the initiative is handed back to player 1, who may then attack on the following turn.

I would say the difference is just st in the word I see.

Bicbw

Nick

Munin

Post by Munin » Fri May 31, 2019 4:26 pm

Sorry, but the above answers are both incorrect.

If the attacking player chooses to strengthen his defenses rather than attacking, he hands initiative to the defender, but any immediate counterattack the defender makes happens in the same campaign turn. So in your first example, if the defender counterattacks, the battle will take place in Campaign Turn 3 on Table 2 with the player who was previously the attacker benefiting from his strengthened defenses.

In the second scenario, where the attacking players strengthens his defenses (again on Table 2, which he controls after winning the previous game), the defending player chooses not to make an immediate counterattack and instead strengthens his defenses on Table 3 (which he still controls as he has not yet been driven from it). Per ATSE Pg 15, this will now end Campaign Turn 3 with no battle being fought. Play moves to Campaign Turn 4, but since neither side currently has the initiative, the players dice off to see who gets it going into Turn 4.

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm

100% agree with Munin.

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Ok gents, thanks for the partial correction.

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 am

Thank you gents. I was thinking it was like Munin stated but what was confusing me was the turn moving on or not. ATSE states one would do it so that wounded men could return but men only return if the turns keep moving on.

So consolidating works the same as scenario 1 but only on main defenses tables?

Cheers
Greg

Munin

Post by Munin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:34 am

Greg Bradfield wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 am
So consolidating works the same as scenario 1 but only on main defenses tables?
Correct, you may only spend a turn to consolidate after you have taken a main defensive position in an "Attack & Defend" scenario.