WORLD WAR 2 ANTI-TANK RIFLES

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

Re: WORLD WAR 2 ANTI-TANK RIFLES

Post by Contrarius »

Most ATRs have magazines holding 4-5 rounds; the Pz II’s had 10 rounds and lots more nearby. In reality though, three or four penetrating hits will pretty much do the business.

We’ve got to ask why ATRs were never very popular. I suspect portability was a big part of the problem.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Here's a minor point of curiosity. In the Blitzkrieg book, only the SS and the fallschirmjaegers can pick an anti-tank rifle as a support option. The Wehrmacht is out of luck. But what of IR Gross Deutschland? Did they rate ATR's? TIA

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Have asked this one and discussed some research
This may be of interest viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9902&p=67562&hilit=ATR#p67562

Truscott Trotter

FWIW the Dutch Solthurn gets AP 4 in BK like the other Solthurns (Italian)

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

Good point TT. Some great feedback on this forum.
How about we go with the following them:

Heavy ATR (20mm) [AT 4, HE 1] require a crew of 5, cannot move and fire, and cannot move at all if the crew falls below 3 personnel

Medium ATR (14mm) [AT 3, HE 1] require a crew of 2+ and, if the crew falls to 1 man, loses 1 pip from each movement dice and cannot move and fire. The Boys ATR only gets AT 2 to reflect its low muzzle velocity.

Light ATR (7.9mm) [AT 2, HE 1] can be operated by a single man at no detriment. Can move and fire just like a rifle.

I'm keen to keep the restrictions on portability, especially for the heavy ATR. I've handled a Japanese ATR and its not just the weight (52kg) but also the bulk and awkwardness that limits how easy it is to move. My conclusion is that less than 3 crew are unlikely to be able to manoeuvre a heavy ATR tactically.

Truscott Trotter

Yes sounds good some of the ATR's were 120lb+ with ammo in the mag thats a lot of weight to hump round all day its like carrying 6 LMG's !

Having said that in the games I have seen an ATR played they deploy and shoot they don't tend to move much