AUFKLARUNGS SQUAD question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: AUFKLARUNGS SQUAD question

Post by Archdukek » Thu May 30, 2019 8:20 pm

tinfish wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:12 am
That was my first reading of it, although I wasn't sure it was 1 rifle, or 1 with each lmg. But a 2lmg team that can be activated on a 1 seemed insane. I can't think of any other instance of 2 lmg's being part of a team. Normally they each make their own team. Russian Guards don't really count as they don't do teams as such :)

I'd love to see Winter Storm updated at some point. Some things aren't all that clear, and I suspect the values are off in places. That squad comes in at 4 support points iirc. Rich once mentioned it ought to be 7.
Winter Storm was the product of the blood, sweat and tears of Richard Morrill (Monty Lardo) who was ploughing a lonely furrow to bring a mid-War Eastern Front campaign to publication. It differs in a number of respects from Big Rich's PSCs.

For what it's worth, like TT, I would read the entry in Winter Storm for the Aufklarungs Squad as being 2 LMG teams each with 2 crew and 1 rifleman, not dissimilar to a standard Panzergrenadier squad, plus the addition of a 5 man rifle team, so 3 teams in all.

I've sent up the Monty signal so hopefully he will be along to say what his intention was.
John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Without special rules 3 team zquads are rather hard to use effectively with only 2 CI.

tinfish

Post by tinfish » Fri May 31, 2019 1:24 am

I'd noticed that one, but I can live without sticking the riflemen on overwatch. They can still be activated on a 1 unless I've missread the rules completely. To get the most out of them, I suspect I will keep them together as one squad. Always more efficient than splitting up.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 am

The problem comes if you want to use the JL and 5 riflemen to outflank and assault leaving the LMG's as a supporting fire base
You then need 2 ones (or a SL) to operate them - pretty unlikely.

Now if there was a rule that allowed 2 teams within 4" of a 3 team section to operate on a 2.......

tinfish

Post by tinfish » Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 am

I was actually playing with the idea of the riflemen hiding near which ever deployment point I'm trying to deny to my oponent, while the MG teams outflank anyone who comes after them.
Probably will all go up in flames lol :)

As a squad as a whole however, they will take some moving, they do have twice the firepower of most Russians. If I can keep them alive till I get a CoC point I can move up my own deployment point and give them some support.

More likely I'll roll nothing but 4's all game as normal :D

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 31, 2019 2:25 am

Hahha the best is when I am playing Russians with one SL and yup roll 4 x 4 and a 6!
and the SL is off table..... :cry: :roll:

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am

Worth remembering that the German tactical manuals in the War emphasised fighting with the Panzergrenadier Squad as a whole squad and not splitting them up into separate Teams even though they had that flexibility if needed. For the Aufklarungs squad there might be more call to have a foot recce capability, hence the separate rifle team, but I suspect they still operated as a squad most of the time.

John

rim66

Post by rim66 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:31 pm

And here I am!!

Winter Storm was done before the change to the 3 man LMG team for the Germans, so I would now field it as 2 LMG teams of 3 crew each (the original 2 crew plus the rifleman, of which there was one per team) and a rifle team of 5 plus the JL. A total of 12 men.

That's the theory but I would allow some reorg before the game, remembering that these guys are on 4 motorcycle combos. The obvious would be 2 LMGs in one team and the riflemen in another or 2 teams of an LMG and 2 or 3 riflemen, the odd man being the JL. As long as motorcycle crews were kept together so always groups of 3, then I'd be happy as GM.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

tinfish

Post by tinfish » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:10 pm

I've plenty of spare loader figures as most times they do run with 3 men on the lmg, so it's a simple change.