More Rivers To Cross PSC

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

poiter50

More Rivers To Cross PSC

Post by poiter50 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm

In this PSC, the Germans are able to Blitzkrieg, moving straight to the next table in the same Campaign Turn and using the survivors of their base platoons and support units. There is no mention of what the French have. Do they fight/defend with what they were left with or do they choose a new platoon and supports?

7dot62mm

Re: More Rivers To Cross PSC

Post by 7dot62mm » Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Most interesting! Please where can one obtain this PSC?

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 pm

It's in the Lard Magaziine 2018 available at the Lardies store. I had ignored it because for some reason I'd thought it to be about the BEF (I'm a Francophile).
Here's where it gets good. My grandson has just started making noises about doing a little gaming this summer. How about matching fallschirmjagers vs. French motorcycle troops? The variety of tactical situations and terrains will be a marvelous teaching tool for a 12 year old. Vive la France.

DougM

Post by DougM » Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 pm

I thought it was BEF as well.. ok, diving back into the mag!

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri May 24, 2019 7:55 pm

In this PSC, the Germans are able to Blitzkrieg, moving straight to the next table in the same Campaign Turn and using the survivors of their base platoons and support units. There is no mention of what the French have. Do they fight/defend with what they were left with or do they choose a new platoon and supports?
I believe you could field a new platoon (the allies have 2) or use the same platoon that has withdrawn (minus the men killed and missing from the 1st turn).

re supports it is as folows from 1940 book:
Speed is of the essence and the attacking player must win before the enemy can call up support, exiting at least two units from the enemy’s friendly table edge to claim victory.
To call up support, the defender must play two full Chain of Command dice. However, at any point, the attacker may use one of his own Chain of Command dice to reduce the attacker’s Chain of Command point total by three points.
Happy to be corrected though.

About to play table 3 tomorrow so have been reviewing the campaign.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

The 'calling up supports' with 2 CoC dice merely ends the scenario it has nothing to do with suppprts on the actual tabletop. (This has been discussed here a few times)

I don't know Rich's intent on thos one but it would make sense to play with the surviving suppprt from both sides if you are proceeding so quickly you use the same platoons..

Although in RL it is a common tactic to have a fresh force poised to pass through a unit that makes the initial breakthrough to do the exploitation.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Sat May 25, 2019 12:19 am

I wonder (and it's just that) how long it takes for the follow-on force to assemble, get moving and cross table #1. Half an hour? An hour? Granted the retreating defender would need some time to re-organize. So it makes sense that both sides use what they have at the end of the 1st game.
The other day I happened to read an account of 7th Panzer in the Battle of France and was quite flummoxed at Rommel's aggressiveness, taking (I thought) significant military risks. He really was at the front of his division. This raises the question of whether a side with the initiative should place on the table (and place at risk) a Very Senior leader. I was also struck by how involved the motorcycle troops were in the advance. Now I'm new to this but I wonder if their motorcycle mobility might have something useful. Perhaps speeding "to the sound of the guns" and giving the Germans the chance for a fresh platoon in Blitzkrieg mode. Unfair? Yes, but as a Francophile I can't avoid recalling that my side kinda didn't win.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 am

JdTN,
That is actually the Blitzkrieg scenario from the 1940 handbook, rather than the Blitzkrieg option in the PSC, the original scenario in the PSC is Swift to Support. In my game, I had reduced the French FM to 0, they withdrew (presumably) and I am looking to move straight to Map 4 which is Going with a Bang which requires the destruction of at least 2 culverts by the French to prevent the Germans using wheeled vehicles and weapons. The MRTC PSC has different support options to the 1940 HB. My confusion/dilemma is not knowing whether the French having withdrawn, get a fresh platoon or have to make do with their depleted force from the game just concluded. The only additional support I see the French receiving is some Engineers to blow the culverts.

quote="john de terre neuve" post_id=71712 time=1558727717 user_id=129]
I believe you could field a new platoon (the allies have 2) or use the same platoon that has withdrawn (minus the men killed and missing from the 1st turn).

re supports it is as folows from 1940 book:
Speed is of the essence and the attacking player must win before the enemy can call up support, exiting at least two units from the enemy’s friendly table edge to claim victory.
To call up support, the defender must play two full Chain of Command dice. However, at any point, the attacker may use one of his own Chain of Command dice to reduce the attacker’s Chain of Command point total by three points.
Happy to be corrected though.

About to play table 3 tomorrow so have been reviewing the campaign.

John
[/quote]

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 am

Just reread the BK rule in the PSC again - I think it has a paragraph missing regarding the French - why do the BK move if the French get a fresh plt and support?

it makes no sense unless the French also fight with whatever survives the previous mission

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:49 am

That's my feeling as well, almost seems senseless to follow up unless you could do so against a weakened opponent. In my game, my opponent lost a full section or thereabouts and I only lost 1 fig thanks to my FM remaining high. In that situation, a BK move would be almost compulsory. The engineer support for the French would be necessary in this situation. I think the remainder of the French troops would then be trying to prevent the Germans winning control of the are that has the culverts. In Turn 4 of the campaign, the Germans can then bring forward their wheeled vehicles and their armour if they have seized the culverted roads. If the French are not permitted to gain access to an Engineer/demolition group, they would be at a severe disadvantage because they couldn't blow the culverts.
Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 am
Just reread the BK rule in the PSC again - I think it has a paragraph missing regarding the French - why do the BK move if the French get a fresh plt and support?

it makes no sense unless the French also fight with whatever survives the previous mission