Ammunition markers for special weapons

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Ammunition markers for special weapons

Post by MLB »

I've been trying to find a way to keep track of certain special ammunition - things like HE rounds for the British 2" mortar or flamethrower fuel. Now I know a lot of this can be done with a mental note, but I love miniatures for the aesthetics of it, so I've tried to come up with something practical that looks like it belongs on the table. Too much time on my hands? Perhaps.

Here are some markers for 2" HE rounds, man-pack flamethrowers and grenades. Some more info on how I made them here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... mmand.html

The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
gilliessim

Re: Ammunition markers for special weapons

Post by gilliessim »

Very nice idea, and well executed as per usual! Always interesting to see what you will come up with next. I have to say you are an excellent source of ideas and inspiration. Thank you!
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

What a great idea and nicely executed too.

I've been using playing cards marked with special ammo. The player is handed a pile and then he discards a card whenever he uses the special ammo.
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Really nice, remind me how you indicate shock. I can not see a reference on your website.
MLB

Post by MLB »

john de terre neuve wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am Really nice, remind me how you indicate shock. I can not see a reference on your website.
Thanks. I use mini dice, you can see them in the ‘Getting Started...’ post https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... guide.html or look in the AARs and you’ll see them in use. Black dice for shock, red dice for crew casualties on bases with crews of greater than one figure.
The Tactical Painter
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Thanks, I knew you had a post on your blog. Interesting read.

I have done the same with mini dice in holders as you have done but then drifted back to using the red shock markers. Unsure why. I acutually used red dice for shock, changed them to yellow for pinned and then to black for rout.

I am acually painting new German and British rifle platoons using AB, my PSC figures are getting a bit beat up with a lot of broken weapons. In redoing them, I am eliminating any multiple figure bases. Still trying to figure out a good way to indicate that a SL/JL has lost a CI was using tiny red beads on bases which I knocked off as CI declined but still looking for a better way.

You have a lot of great ideas in this post.

John
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

John if I was starting again I would have men on round JL.on square and SL on hexagons. I would also put lmg on a larger round base and magnetise the loader.

MLB inspiring as usual I have markers for panzerfausts and schrecks but was thinking what to do for PIAT's and 2" mortars as I didn't have any 1/56th ammo.

Mind you I don't think I will need any for the flamers as my opponent's tend to keep a good count if those shots!
MLB

Post by MLB »

john de terre neuve wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pm I am acually painting new German and British rifle platoons using AB, my PSC figures are getting a bit beat up with a lot of broken weapons. In redoing them, I am eliminating any multiple figure bases. Still trying to figure out a good way to indicate that a SL/JL has lost a CI was using tiny red beads on bases which I knocked off as CI declined but still looking for a better way.
The AB figures are lovely and a cut above the PSC figures (I have travelled exactly the same route, so speak from experience). I have had a thought about dealing with wounded leaders and I think I'm going to try using a sabot base, as I have done with my Sharp Practice leaders. For SP2 I use these to indicate what leader it is but I could use the same method for CoC for wounded.

I picked up these bases from Supreme Littleness Designs and this is how I use them for SP2.

However no reason why I couldn't do the same for CoC and create a marker to show a light wound or a stunned. As the figures can be removed then you have the option to keep the permanent wound base for the remainder of the game (or however long the leader lives!), while the 'stunned' wound base can be removed at turn end.

Previously I created specific figures, which you can see more of here http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... mmand.html

The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:25 pm MLB inspiring as usual I have markers for panzerfausts and schrecks but was thinking what to do for PIAT's and 2" mortars as I didn't have any 1/56th ammo.
I've used a figure with a Panzerfaust and put him with the squad. Once the faust has been fired I replace him with a normal rifleman. I'll have to have a think about what to do with PIATs (I'd forgotten about them actually, so thanks for reminding me).
Truscott Trotter wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:25 pm Mind you I don't think I will need any for the flamers as my opponent's tend to keep a good count if those shots!
Yes indeed, it does tend to be something you don't forget in a hurry.
The Tactical Painter
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

john de terre neuve wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pm
I have done the same with mini dice in holders as you have done but then drifted back to using the red shock markers. Unsure why. I acutually used red dice for shock, changed them to yellow for pinned and then to black for rout.

Still trying to figure out a good way to indicate that a SL/JL has lost a CI was using tiny red beads on bases which I knocked off as CI declined but still looking for a better way.
Some great ideas in the OP!

I’m also still looking for a better way. I avoid those mini-dice at all costs. I don’t know why I hate them so much. Could be that like a wall poster with writing on it my eye automatically drifts to it and I read it and re-read it. Simple fact is, I find mini-dice just too distracting.

Colour-coded beads seem to work quite well for me for most things: Metallic red for shock. Gold/silver for dead figures on a crewed weapon or command loss on a leader. Bought a large box from a pound shop for a quid or two and have never looked back. The problems start when you have a lot of shock on a single group, so am experimenting with casualty figures with one such figure = four or five shock beads.

The ‘potato masher’ grenades certainly look great for when you’re playing the Krauts, but I’m less sure that pineapple grenades will be distinctive enough at 1/35 scale.

Now, another thing we could all use is a system of simple icon-type markers to denote types of damage to armoured vehicles: A monkey wrench or other tool seems a no brainer to signify engine or other repairable damage; a sprocket wheel from the spares box maybe for track damage...