House rules for double moves and single sixes.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Truscott Trotter

Re: House rules for double moves and single sixes.

Post by Truscott Trotter »

We went though all the numerous permutations listed above then one player came up with the idea of leaving all the rules as is except ypu could only shoot once in any give run of multiple phases.
I did not like it at first but after playing it a few times leaned to appreciate its elegance.
Munin

Post by Munin »

That's an interesting take - lets you maneuver more, but doesn't necessarily reward static formations. It's a subtle way to give a little bit of a bonus to the attacking force.
Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

I would have to try it. Part of the problem is the ability to move too far though, if you get multiple phases, without the opposition being able to do anything about it, and that rule doesn't help that.
Munin

Post by Munin »

I find people get a lot more salty about repeated shooting than repeated movement.

FWIW, when we play club games we play with the phase rules as written. When I teach the game to new people, I take out one die from the Command Dice roll for every successive phase.
redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Derek H wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:20 am 7. Just play the rules as written.
Amen!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Trailape

Post by Trailape »

I like the friction personally
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Your private life is your own business.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Iorwerth wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 am 5. An idea by Saltflats1929 - Don't reroll the 6's on the following phases.

This is part of the house rules I mentioned above. I think it does an excellent job of reducing the effectiveness of these extra phases while still allowing them to occur.
Have you used it much? A friend and I both came to that idea ourselves yesterday after a string of five(!) consecutive phases, including two natural turn ends, left us both feeling helpless and gross.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Hmm makes the triple and quadriple 6's a pretty bad thing to roll. You could end up having 3 phases in a row with less usable dice than a single roll with no 6's

We didn't mind extra moves and extra shock removal as a tactical initiative but we did object to endless shooting phases especially as the target could be standing in the open motionless :?
Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

Levi the Ox wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:16 am
Iorwerth wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:10 am 5. An idea by Saltflats1929 - Don't reroll the 6's on the following phases.

This is part of the house rules I mentioned above. I think it does an excellent job of reducing the effectiveness of these extra phases while still allowing them to occur.
Have you used it much? A friend and I both came to that idea ourselves yesterday after a string of five(!) consecutive phases, including two natural turn ends, left us both feeling helpless and gross.
Not yet, as haven't managed to arrange another game yet :roll:

I am planning on using it, along with the idea to allowing the player to turn sixes into a fives if they want to (but only if they throw one or two sixes, as three sixes is still an end turn) - if they roll one six then they automatically turn into into a five, but if they roll two sixes it presents a player with an interesting choice - do they take an extra phases with 3 command dice (presuming they have 5 normally), or do they add two pips to their CoC die. A play test or two will hopefully reveal whether it all works ok.

If you do try out the non-rerolling of sixes in your next game then any feedback would be great :)