CoC support list

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

black cavalier

CoC support list

Post by black cavalier »

Hi, about how many of the support options would you recommend making available for an initial starter force? And how many instances of each option? Having more of the cheaper options and fewer of the higher options sounds like a good idea. Obviously, we're all completists, and want them all. But realistically, how infantry extra squads should you have on hand? And how many tanks?

Also, are command vehicles (those with radios and no real weapons) modelled in CoC? From the scenarios I've seen, they have never been included. And any tank leaders are always in a non-command version of the vehicle.

Thanks

Truscott Trotter

Re: CoC support list

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Good question
All of my forces have at at least 1 extra infantry squad (if not 2 of different types) and a full engineer squad
I have 2 MMG,s 1 Lt mortar - couple extra zooks/shcrecks
1 Medic (rarely used)
1 of each Lt/med/Hvy ATG
Tanks well they are for fun not winning a game but I have far too many - its more a cool modelling thing - though those with big HE are handy sometimes

MLB

Post by MLB »

TT’s list is a good one, although I’d add a sniper and a forward observer to that list.

One way to look at it is how many support points you are likely to have. If you play the scenarios from the rule book the maximum available in any one scenario is 10. Factor in some differences for force rating and you are looking at totals of no more than 12-15. Some of the campaigns have scenarios with higher amounts, but you are unlikely to exceed 20. If you are defending you will normally have only half of that amount. That gives you some sort of guide to what you might need for any scenario. Also consider that while lots of support units may look very attractive, command and control becomes an issue. So you may end up mixing supports to include things like a pre-game barrage or an Adjutant which don’t require normal activation and don’t require physical representation on the table.

The other obvious factor is are you collecting for a particular part of the war, say France 1940, or late war Eastern Front, this helps narrow down the choices.

Some generic items like entrenchments, wire and minefields will be useful too.

But, as you admit and it does go without saying, you will gather far more than you will need. I have two T-35s, fortunately I play in 20mm so it didn’t break the bank, but what was I thinking?
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

On your question about command vehicles without weapons appearing in a Chain of Command game, I've never seen one either, but then I doubt that they would willingly want to be as close to the enemy infantry as the 240 yards which a CoC table represents. No reason why they couldn't appear in a scenario though if you wanted, just ignore the main weapon stats in the relevant vehicle entry. Not sure what you would expect them to do though other than be a target which needs protecting.

John

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

It doesn't matter how many I have, my opponent always uses something that I wish I had taken/bought. And it is not in my box of tricks for that night or is still sitting on the painting table.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Ha you better finish painting that guy with the school crossing sign......
MLB is correct however I find snipers so ineffective that they're ignored and FOO's soo overpowered I dont use em unless we are using houserules.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Command vehicles with comms but no weapons are best handled as off-table "Adjutants," as that is more realistically how they are going to be employed.

black cavalier

Post by black cavalier »

Thanks all for the good info.

So, it sounds like not only wouldn't I need multiples of the same vehicle, but I might get away with only 1 vehicle in each support level, if that. I guess I'll stop following all those tank auctions on ebay now.

I figured the reason there were no command vehicle was because they'd be used at a level higher than CoC, so thanks for the confirmation.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Some campaigns expect two or three shermans, or a couple of panthers. But not normally in a one off game.

SEYDLITZ!

Post by SEYDLITZ! »

CoC is primarily an anti-infantry game, so you have to defeat infantry to win. Always have an additional section. It's the most flexible support. And a Forward Observer. Tanks with lots of MGs are useful. Like a Pz38t or A9 in EW for example.