To the Viktor Line - Campaign

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

siggian

Re: To the Viktor Line - Campaign

Post by siggian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 pm

"So saying, the evidence is that they started pre-dawn, so having limited visibility for S1 is a great idea."

Alternatively, for the first turn, give all targets one extra level of cover while it is dark (none = light, light = heavy, heavy = bunker).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:10 pm

I do like the idea of the off-table MMG - but would that replace an on-table option, or would you have both?

i would go with both

PS When its finished it should be a cracking campaign

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 am

I've now read this. I agree with TT's comments about needed clarifications. And also about this being a cracking campaign 8-)

Also, we would need rules about deploying and descending on ropes I think.

Various CoCified teams such as the Engineer section, FJ Panzerknackers, Kubelwagen recce team and FJ Pionieer Gruppe might need an OB/TOE.

Does the M5 half-track mount a 50-cal?

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:04 am

Capt Fortier wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:36 pm
I believe the Crusader AA MkII had 20mm Oerlikons, so perhaps that can serve as a guide for the Consolidated Arsenal?
All 20mm autocannons have AP 4 HE 6, and don't forget that with 20mms you do roll against troop quality. Basically they shoot like small arms, not HE.

A single 20mm ground mount would be List 4 according to the CoCulator.

Morgan

Post by Morgan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:54 am

Very small comment because I've not looked at the campaign in any detail (but it looks good!).
Re: the lack of cover for S1 - if the attackers advance along the length of the table, there is indeed a lot of open ground to cover. But this scenario is set up as a flank attack and, with the free moves that the attacker's patrol markers get, they should be able to slam the patrol markers which are along the long edge forwards pretty well and get one or more JOPs into the cover on left side of that map. Combined with the huge amount of support that they get, I wouldn't make any changes to that scenario for the open ground - if the Brits advance across that, more fool them.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Morgan wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:54 am
Very small comment because I've not looked at the campaign in any detail (but it looks good!).
Re: the lack of cover for S1 - if the attackers advance along the length of the table, there is indeed a lot of open ground to cover. But this scenario is set up as a flank attack and, with the free moves that the attacker's patrol markers get, they should be able to slam the patrol markers which are along the long edge forwards pretty well and get one or more JOPs into the cover on left side of that map. Combined with the huge amount of support that they get, I wouldn't make any changes to that scenario for the open ground - if the Brits advance across that, more fool them.
To be honest, that was my starting intention too - but I've come around to considering the pre-dawn start (which is accurate) and using the limited visibility or siggian's suggestion of one-level better cover in darkness.

I am marking up comments on draft now and will release new version once updated. Thanks to all for feedback and comments.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Regarding the PIAT... I know by Normandy it was definitely at platoon HQ level. There could certainly be differences in Italy, as I know there were some on the German side.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 pm

A couple more minor thoughts. Add sPZB41 2.8cm AT rifle to the FJ List 3. I don't know if there were any in the campaign, it's been a favorite of mine for almost 60 years. Add to the FJ Support options a 20mm Flak to List 4.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Now for the serious question... I have FJ's (painted and unpainted) but am clueless about British figures for late 1943. So I'd welcome suggestions. Perry? Crusader late war? Advice gratefully received.

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm

For late '43 on the Italian mainland you could get away with either shirtsleeves (eg: Perry) or battledress (eg: Crusader). Eighth Army fought Sicily in shorts (it was summer), but they were in trousers by the time they reached Italy proper. They stayed in shirtsleeves for a while, and photos from October do seem to show that it was still warm enough for troops to be dressed like that, but the winter of 43-44 was incredibly cold and after that they'd be in battledress, and to be honest snowsuits some of the time!

For helmets you do see a lot of covers, but not all the scrim you see in NW Europe, and no turtle helmets. One of the main differences is to make sure all the SMGs are Thompsons, not Stens. Eighth Army didn't use Stens, even their Paras had tommy guns.