Any Big CoC campaigns?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bigern314

Any Big CoC campaigns?

Post by bigern314 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 pm

The group is thinking of a multiplayer campaign next month. 4-6 players. I know there is a scenario "A Holding Action" in the summer 2017 special. But anything else I'm missing? any suggestions on handling larger games? We've only played 1 on 1 so far.

redmist1122

Re: Any Big CoC campaigns?

Post by redmist1122 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am

I don't know of any BIG CoC campaigns out there...if there is, I'm interested as well. But we play a lot of BIG COC games either 2 vs. 1 or 2 vs 2, and ever so often 3 vs 3. Definitely read the free down load Big CoC. I made a cheat sheet to capture the nuances with it. If you want to do an exiting TFL PSC, then I would just double up the platoons from the scenario for each player. The only quirky thing I can see up front with a BIG CoC campaign is ensuring you have all the players all the time when its time to play.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Munin

Post by Munin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:24 pm

I wrote one for Kasserine Pass. PM me your e-mail address and I'll shoot you a copy.

When we played it, it was an Italian Infantry platoon and German Tank platoon versus an American Infantry platoon and a British Tank platoon. But the rules are flexible enough to allow you to mix-and-match as you see fit.

bigern314

Post by bigern314 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Appreciate that, thanks. We are going to do the scenario first and if it works we will look at something longer.

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 am

My group has played a lot of multiplayer games. We use Big CoC as a basis, but have made a few changes, mainly to speed game play, and keep all the players involved. Here’s what we do:
A. Ban Preliminary Bombardment. If both sides take it, the first hour of your game will slow to a crawl.
B. Only the Attacker can take Preliminary Bombardment, and only the the Defenders may take a Forward Observer. This allows the both sides an advantage, but in different ways. Attacks are usually staged with an opening Bombardment, and defenders usually have knowledge of the battlefield and have set up registered strike points for their mortars.
C. No Double Phases. This was the most controversial decision. But having 5 players stand around while 1 player takes 2 (or more!) phases in a row creates disjointed play, and leads to the other players wandering away, taking even more time to get them back. We give out “Interrupt Chits” instead, which function just like using a full Chain of Command die for an Interrupt. This gives the player a tool to fire or move out of sequence, allowing troops to move out of (or into!) danger, or get a shot off before doom hits them, without slowing play down as much. You may want to give options for rolling 3 or more sixes. We usually don’t, but converting a third, fourth or fifth six into a five and increasing that player’s Chain of Command dice seems like a fair compromise. Note that Commander of each side will still trigger an End of Turn on 3 or more sixes, and trigger events on four or more sixes.
D. Everyone participates in the Patrol Phase. We give each player 3 Patrol markers. Starting with the player with the highest Force Morale and then alternating around the table, each player moves one of their Patrol markers. So if the highest Force Morale belongs to a player on the attacking side, that player moves a marker, then a player on the defending side moves a marker, then an attacking player moves a marker and so on. We just go down the line on each side, so the order of players moving markers is clear, but you may want to have each sides players go in order by their respective Force Morales. Giving every player Patrol markers actually speeds the process, and once again keeps players from wandering away. 2 experienced Commanders can usually finish the Patrol phase quickly, but getting everyone else back from from bathroom breaks, smoke breaks, food breaks and drinks breaks can easily eat up half an hour or more. We give each player 2 jump off points, and each player must maintain an unbroken chain of Patrol markers. We do not require all the players on either side to maintain an unbroken chain however. This speeds things up, and reduces arguments.

We are currently talking about restricting light mortars to using line of sight only from members of their platoon. I have found that long range shots from hidden units at the far end of the gaming table slows things down, as the recipient tends to take cover and/or freezes when under such fire. This may be very realistic, but if you only have 3 hours to finish a game, you want play to move. If one player takes an extra 10 minutes each phase, you are unlikely to get a satisfactory resolution to the game.

You may also want to adjust Support points. Depending on the amount of toys your group wants to bring to the game, you may want to up the dice rolled, or substitute 6 full points for a Support die. In a 3-on-3 game Big CoC recommends rolling 3 Support dice, but if you want more options you might roll 2D6+6 (or 1D6+12!) instead. We usually discuss how we spend our Support points, but occasionally each sides Commander will just decide for himself how they are spent, and who gets what! If there are any complaints, we tell those complaining to take the job of Commander next time!

On a different note, when running a Big CoC campaign, I would give each player a fresh platoon each game. In a multiplayer game it is too easy for 2 players to concentrate their fire on a single player, causing lots of casualties. If you were using the full At the Sharp End rules, that player would quite quickly be knocked out, giving quite lopsided future games, and potentially leading to players dropping out. I have run loads of campaigns, many successfully, but anytime players are penalized for losing games with massive army size reductions, that’s when they drop out. You do not want the campaign to end because 1 player no longer feels he has any chance to win.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 pm

The Crossroads - Closing the Gap campaign (available from WargamesVault) has a Big CoC option.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:57 pm

You might want to take a look at some of the IABSM scenario packs some of which might be translatable into a Big CoC format.

John

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Mmmm...didn't know "Closing the Gap" campaign was multi-player...will have to read through it again.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 am

Some good points there Dbsubashi unlike Bolt Action or FoW you cannot really play big CoC as separate battle alongside each other it is one battle and thus takes a fair bit longer to get through than a normal game
the last 4 player one we did - guards on the Escaut took 2 x 4 hours - admittedly it was with 2 new players on their 3rd game

@redmist1122 - look on p 38 of the Crossroads has some adaptions for big CoC

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:09 am

I’ve run lots of multi player Big CoC as 3 or 4 linked games overa weekend.
dbsubashi makes some good points - one thing we always have is an umpire (me, normally), and this obviates a lot of potential issues, you can keep the game moving and the players focused, I think it could be that because there is an umpire we’ve not encountered many of the issues he has.
The support point balance does indeed require careful attention. However, I’ve always preset the points for the games rather than rolling, which you might find helps. I normally go for something along the lines of 3 or 4 per infantry platoon a side plus the total balance from however many from the force rating gives (so if the net rating for each platoon is +2 and there are 3 platoons, the enemy gets +6) less is often more, although I’ve mostly played early war. Later you might need to bump it up a little.