FO team caught in own barrage - what happens?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

FO team caught in own barrage - what happens?

Post by Capt Fortier » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:13 am

In a game yesterday we had a situation where one player had his Forward Observation Team call in an immediate barrage without a ranging shot. He ended up with a 17" deviation which brought the barrage down over some of his own troops, including the FO team. We weren't quite sure how to work out the effect and impact (only my third game, and first with an off-table mortar, and his first game altogether), and I'm pretty sure I got some things wrong.

Firstly, we weren't sure if the FO team had to test for any hits? He was within 4" of another one of his teams which was hit but had no kills, so we assumed from 9.1.1 that meant no separate test was required for the FO team; but on reflection I'm not sure that was right.

Secondly, I understood that all troops within the 18" square area under the barrage were pinned. But I'm pretty sure I got the effect of this wrong, believing it stopped all movement, firing and even activation. On re-reading the rules later I realised that pinned units can fire (at half effect), but can they fire through/out of the barrage? I thought I'd read somewhere that a barrage blocked fire (but now can't find that anywhere).

Finally, does a barrage affect activation? I treated it as though it did, but I think now that must be wrong. It meant that I hobbled my poor opponent with a barrage that could only be ended by a Turn end. So saying, he still won the game (a Probe mission with him attacking) so my errors probably just saved me from more ignominy!
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Munin

Re: FO team caught in own barrage - what happens?

Post by Munin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 am

The barrage pins all units in its AOE and blocks line of sight (which is what stops firing), but it does not prevent activation. You can still have your leaders rally off Shock, for instance.

As for who gets hit, the rules say roll for all teams under the barrage. But yes, the FO is treated like a leader in most instances of hit allocation, so I could see this one going either way.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:20 am

Capt Fortier wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:13 am

Firstly, we weren't sure if the FO team had to test for any hits? He was within 4" of another one of his teams which was hit but had no kills, so we assumed from 9.1.1 that meant no separate test was required for the FO team; but on reflection I'm not sure that was right.
You played it right. An FO within 4" of another unit is treated a bit like a leader. He rolls for risk when a casualty is suffered on the unit he's attached to.
But I'm pretty sure I got the effect of this wrong, believing it stopped all movement, firing and even activation.
As Munin says, it doesn't prevent activation. Having said that, it's fairly unusual to activate troops under a barrage. Since they can't see (so can't shoot) and can't move there's very few things they can do. However, activating leaders to rally shock or an FO to adjust or cease fire would be perfectly ok. In real life all the mortar fire control party would be doing is grabbing the landline/radio and yelling a simple command to the guns. He can do that while squirming in the dirt.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:52 am

Seret wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:20 am
Having said that, it's fairly unusual to activate troops under a barrage.
I think in part it was from watching other peoples' games where units under a barrage seem pretty much in stasis (even if an uncomfortable stasis!) that I made the assumption it necessarily closed everything down. It certainly made for some drama on the table, and even though it was my opponent's first game it didn't take away his enjoyment. His winning helped with that too!

Thanks for the confirmation and clarifications.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm

There's nothing stopping the FOO under the barrage to activate and call to stop the barrage.

I wouldn't allow the FOO to "walk" the barrage away from him though as he has no line of site and it's cheesy!

As the FOO is a "team" shouldn't he roll far casualties separately and if there are, then dice to see if the FOO himself is one and then if so for effect?

Don

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Quackstheking wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm
I wouldn't allow the FOO to "walk" the barrage away from him though as he has no line of site and it's cheesy!
What's cheesy about it? He knows exactly where he is and where his mortars are sited (most likely directly to his rear). Adjustment of fire would be as simple as getting on the horn and yelling "Up 100, repeat!". You don't need to get your slide rule out for that kind of adjustment. He doesn't need line of sight to know they're dropping short and he has to shift fire towards the enemy. I wouldn't allow a precise adjustment onto an enemy target, but getting the barrage off himself is legit IMO.

The observer is not a separate team when he's with friendly troops, see 9.1.1.

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:26 pm

This sounds like a scene right of the movie "Platoon". The Lt called in for support fire and it lands on their own troops to include himself. It's when Sgt Barnes gets on the radio and calls for "check your fire"...which he is essentially readjusts the barrage. So in the case above I see as reasonable to still activate, if still alive, and adjust the barrage.

I know its a movie...
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

andysyk

Post by andysyk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Yes he could adjust fire. But hed scream STOP with whatever Comm method he possessed and check his F>>>>>G Map reading. Then post combat keep a wary distance from his own troops. If hes mucked up his map reading adjusting the fire by 100 metres may not clear his or friendlies position. He doesn't know where the MPI is.