Official CoCulator

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

agent_pumpkin

Official CoCulator

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Did the official CoCulator ever get posted on the forum/yahoo group?

I think it would become a very useful tool for creating CoC campaigns.
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.
balamatt

Re: Official CoCulator

Post by balamatt »

That is this Coculator of which you speak?
agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

In an old post Rich mentioned it. It's how he creates the platoon force level for new lists.

Of course I may of missed it and he has released it elsewhere...
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.
aktr

Post by aktr »

I don't think there is an official one but I have my own formula which I use. I did post it (well a work in progress version) on here a while ago but got berated because I called it a points system

if you want to see it let me know, its not exact but it gives you a ball park figure
agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

I have been using that aktr. It is handy, thanks.

There is another post where Rich says if people send him a list he would run it through the "official CoCulator". I was hoping, with At The Sharp End being released, he would show us the formula! :)
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

No problem. I am in York at the moment and bought my work book with me with all of the figures in, apart from the fact its the wrong bloody book!!

The lists in the main rules are based on a combination of firepower values and melee values. You then get values for leaders, AT weapons, disposable AT weapons etc. This then gives a numerical value which I compare with a table where you get a range for each value. So, for example, a force which clocks up 99 to 106 would be rated as +1, 107 to 113 would be +2, and so on. I'll post them in the next few days when at home.

AFVs are rated according to armour, HE and AT ratings plus speed. Other supports on a similar numerical value depending on mobility, melee and firepower. Again you get a range of points which fit into the bracket for each list. Hence getting vehicles which are slightly different in the same List bracket. It does mean that some vehicles are "better value" but I prefer that to a pure point system.

Apologies for not having the correct data here. I suspect it may be next Monday now as when I get home I have the final printers edition of Dux the Raiders to submit to the printer on Monday morning.

Rich
aktr

Post by aktr »

I can't wait to get my hands on this and then there will be no stopping me

Mwahahahahahahaha
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Rich,

Any chance of posting up the tables for calculating Force Rating as previously mentioned, please?

Cheers

Nick
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

Right lads, having got back into the zone doing the Barbarossa lists (up now), I am ready to rock with this. Some of it is very simple, some is just "nearly" simple.

All of this is about giving point values for a unit or AFV and then seeing where they fit in on a scale. Let's start with infantry.

INFANTRY
This system is morphing a bit. This is the first time I have ever worked with "points" and there has been a bit of a learning curve. Originally the lists involved more stuff, but as I progressed I realised that a simple and streamlined system worked better. So, this is now largely based on firepower dice, thus:

Most teams are valued at one point per firepower dice. So a six man rifle team is worth six points and a four man MG34 team is worth 10 points (8 for the LMG and 2 crew, 2 for the two ammunition carriers who lug the ammo about but who can fire). Where a weapon team is listed as split between crew and riflemen the crew are counter as firing the weapon, the riflemen are counted as being extra. So a Bren with three crew is 6 points.

That is the case for all infantry weapons except the in-platoon supports, such as the PIAT team, Panzerschreck team, 2" mortar team. These are valued thus:

2" or 50mm mortar: 3 points
60mm mortar : 4 points
PIAT or Bazooka: 4 points
Panzerschreck: 6 points
Each panzerfaust: 1 point

Senior Leaders are 9 points
Junior Leaders are 6 points
Add +1 for each Leader having an SMG

So, let's take an example.

A German 1941 platoon with a platoon HQ of two senior Leaders, one with an SMG, and a 50mm mortar team is 9+9+1+3= 22.

Each rifle squad has a Junior Leader with an SMG, an MG34 team with three crew and a rifle team with six men. This is 6+1+8+6=21. There are four of them so that is 84 points plus the HQ at 22 giving us 105 points.

Now, the number of points a force has will tell us which force rating it gets. These are as follows:
-7: 42 to 47
-6: 48-53
-5: 54-59
-4: 60-65
-3: 66-71
-2: 72-77
-1: 78-83
0: 84-89
1: 90-95
2: 96-101
3: 102-107
4: 108-113
5; 114-119
6: 120-125
7: 126-131
8: 132-137
9: 138-143
10: 144+

Obviously you can keep going higher or lower in the same increments if you like. Green troops simply reduce their points value by a third - so the Germans would be 70 points - rated -3 - if Green. Elite troops add one theirs, so they would be 140 points, +9 if Elite.

That's part one. About to take Number Two daughter to school, then I'll do the AFV rating before the dentist. What you will note is that some of the ratings in the main rules now need tweaking, but we'll look at that later today.

Rich
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

Right, on to AFVs.

AFV's are rated on four things: Armour, AP, HE (or more to the point "anti-infantry") and Speed. Let's look at An SdKfz 221 and 222 as an example.

The 222 is simplest. Armour rating of 2, AP of 4, HE of 6 and Wheeled. We add +2 for Wheeled or Fast, +1 for Average and nothing for Slow. So for the 222 we get the following:

2 + 4 + 6 + 2 = 14 total points

The 221 has an armour rating of 2. It has no AP capability as it has only an MG. It has no HE effect but it can, of course fire against infantry with its MG. Firing MG against infantry is not as good as HE as it doesn't reduce cover, so we count it as two-thirds the value. So 6 points of MG fire is counted as HE rating 4. So we get the following:

2 + 0 + 4 + 2 = 8

As we can see this is a very different rating due to the MG as against the cannon in the 222.

We then rate this in the same way as we did for infantry as follows:

8 points or less: List 2
9-11 points: List 3
12-14 points: List 4
15-17 points: List 5
18-20 points: List 6
21-23 points: List 7
24-26 points: List 8
27-29 points: List 9
30-32 points: List 10
33-35 points: List 11

And up from there if necessary.

I do not take into account all of the small and ancillary stuff EXCEPT where I feel that it is strong enough to really make a difference where I reserve the right to tweak slightly based on game play experience. To be honest that is rarely used.

So, another example, T34 M1941 which is 6 + 6 + 5 + 2 (fast) = 19 which gives us List 6.

What this does mean is that you'll get some variation within each List range, but I do find that it all evens out in the end and it is far simpler to keep things simple than over-engineer them.

Rich