Ongoing Rule Clarification Thread

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: Ongoing Rule Clarification Thread

Post by Archdukek »

Peter wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:50 am
Do you have to consider the 3" difference per level when calculating the distance from the deployment point?
What 3” distance per level? Just measure as normal.
Also there’s nothing to require you to place the JOP on the ground floor in a larger building though it’s common. You could place it on an upper floor if needed. :)

John

Munin

Post by Munin »

I would say so, yes. But that's just my interpretation, nothing official.

Cyrax

Post by Cyrax »

Ok, fair enough.

My friend has a sniper on a 20mm wide base that he placed at the top of a church tower. The base can only touch one wall at a time, but there is some argument that he can just arbitrarily shoot in any direction. I'm aware that it takes a CoC die to move him, but what makes it any different than having a team oriented out one side of a building, then having to use a movement to orient them out a different side? Seems a little o.p. having a unit that can't be shot, can see the whole map, ignores cover, inflicts double shock, and can shoot 360° in any direction. Makes maneuvering extremely tedious.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

And this is why you blow up the church tower with HE, using reconnaissance by firepower. They historically did that afterall!

Cyrax

Post by Cyrax »

Vehicles firing H.E. at a building can fire at any point on the building they can see to inflict casualties on any men inside.

The sniper hasn't been spotted yet. I mean, logically, if a shot rings out from some random location, it can easily be assumed that it's a sniper in the only church tower in the town, and yeah, I'm going to start pounding it with my Pz.III from across the map. But is that how the rules work?

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Well, they didn't necessarily wait for a shot to ring out. They preemptively knocked down a lot of church towers 'Just in case'

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

I would say that most such demolition was actually aimed at suspected FOO positions and took place at much longer ranges than on a CoC table. The rules don't include speculative targeting or reconnaissance by fire for a number of good reasons.

The 'snipers' in the rules aren't really professional trained snipers, who wouldn't be anywhere near the range of engagement on a CoC table, and probably nowhere near an ongoing battle. Such a sniper would, from the accounts I've seen, *never* pick anywhere as obvious as a church steeple to shoot from!

I think of 'snipers' in the game as sharpshooters, individuals who are good shots and have been given a roving brief by the platoon CO to harass the enemy.

Anyway, the sniper rules give them a fair amount of latitude, so I wouldn't get hung up on what model you are using or exactly where it's positioned. Just assume that he can see anything in a possible line of sight from where he is and is using whatever cover is available. A CoC dice is only needed to move to a different location, not just readjusting slightly.

If that sounds over-powered, bear in mind that most experienced players rarely use them, since they are largely ineffective - and if was umpiring a game in which a sniper used such an obvious site as a church steeple I'd give a bonus to spot them! ;^D

Cyrax

Post by Cyrax »

If a squad suffers a kill, and the squad has a JL and SL attached, do you roll one or two dice to see if a leader is hit? How does that work?

Seret

Post by Seret »

What most people do is roll one dice to see if a leader is hit, and then roll again to see which one of them it is.

HaberDasher

Post by HaberDasher »

Seret wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:08 am
What most people do is roll one dice to see if a leader is hit, and then roll again to see which one of them it is.
Thats how we play it at the club.