Flame thrower teams, Close combat

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gsymko

Flame thrower teams, Close combat

Post by gsymko »

Just 2 questions about flame thrower teams and one about close combat from a building.

1. Can the flame thrower team move and shoot and if so only with one die and 1/2 the fire dice?

2. Does the flame thrower team get any bonuses in close combat either defending or attacking?

3. Is a team forced into close combat if they are in a building and one of the building walls with just windows separates them from the enemy team and they are less than an inch away?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Flame thrower teams, Close combat

Post by Truscott Trotter »

1 As the rules are written yes you can.
2. No they are engineer reams so cannot close combat have a look at Ch 16.
3. The phasing player moving in that situation chooses whether to go into combat more detail in FAQ.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Good questions Greg, I really did not believe that I could move and fire with the FT team, but it seems you can.
In respect to your question about the close combat here is the relative FAQ:
A: Windows and closed doors constitute a clear path if the attacker wants them to do so. Open doors always constitute a clear path.
So, if the attacker chooses to leap through windows in order to initiate close combat he may do so. However, if he elects to move up and throw a grenade through the window then that does not initiate close combat. If the same attacker advanced to the open door, then close combat is automatically initiated when he comes within 4”. But don’t forget, grenades can be thrown at any point in a Phase, even mid-movement, so if you have the grenades and the Command Initiative, you can throw a grenade from 5”, the effect of which is worked out before the movement is completed and close combat begins. Equally, if a door is present then we always assume that it is closed. Open doors only exist where there is no door or it has been destroyed somehow.
You will note in the photos that there was no door on the back of the house to which you were referring. I felt quite safe in the house as if you started to climb in through the windows, I would be defending in heavy cover. Those grenades were tricky though.

I do wonder though if you did attack into the house, would I have counted the 3 member Flame Thrower team into my combat pool? I personally think so but I am always willing to be convinced otherwise.

John

gsymko

Post by gsymko »

So I could have close assaulted?

john de terre neuve

It would appear so.

Truscott Trotter

Mind you after attacking an unpinned unit in hard cover once you may not be so keen to do it a second time....wven ignoring the flame thrower team that would be heading for home :lol:

EDIT: For Engineering teams
p 68 If an enemy contacts them in Close
Combat they will surrender immediately.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Is that going to change with the new Pioneer Platoon in the 1940 Handbook? I see them as a fighting unit but Engineering teams can be a conversion in each squad. I accept that the FT team should not be in CQB but the rest of the group can fight, surely (and assault)?

Yes, TT, I am fixated ATM on these guys.

Truscott Trotter

Yes interesting question Pete - maybe you should ask Big Rich on facepalm - I doubt there is an easy answer to this one :P

PS I have always thought that the idea of making all pioneers behave like British Engineers was fraught with problems
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1646&p=12418&hilit ... ers#p12418

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Having read "Into Oblivion" last year - German Pioneers in Stalingrad, I have to agree with you. The fighting prowess of Pioneers in the German campaigns is excellent.
Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 am
Yes interesting question Pete - maybe you should ask Big Rich on facepalm - I doubt there is an easy answer to this one :P

PS I have always thought that the idea of making all pioneers behave like British Engineers was fraught with problems
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1646&p=12418&hilit ... ers#p12418

john de terre neuve

Yes this is going to be a tough one. I am big in to playing the RAW, but this makes little sense.

I can see the differences in different armies when being approached by the enemy in respect to having to retreat or if being caught surrendering especially if isolated.

This flamethrower team however was with a German infantry squad and a SL.

So the squad and the SL engage in combat while at the same time while in the same grouping the engineer team surrenders.

It just defies logic!

John