Walking a Smoke Barrage!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Quackstheking

Walking a Smoke Barrage!

Post by Quackstheking » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:09 am

Here’s a question!

You call a mortar smoke barrage and cover an area 18” x 18”. If the spotter then walks the smoke barrage 6”, does the area still just cover 18” x 18” or, as it is smoke which doesn’t disperse till the turn end, does it now measure 18” x 24”?!

Don

Truscott Trotter

Re: Walking a Smoke Barrage!

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 am

Never heard of walking a smoke barrage in real life.

Have you got an example of one?

More likely they will drift with the wind and not in the direction you want.

andysyk

Post by andysyk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 am

Well by the rules Hand Grenade and LM smoke is only removed at the end of a Turn. MM Smoke should then also remain until the end of a turn.... A barrage ends at the end of a turn.

So yes your smoke area would get larger.

andysyk

Post by andysyk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 am
Never heard of walking a smoke barrage in real life.

Have you got an example of one?

More likely they will drift with the wind and not in the direction you want.
Common practice to correct the smoke screen, especially if deployed in front of advancing Infantry. Wind direction etc was all calculated in by the FO. In fact some wind - in British Practice 7-15mph was seen as the most favourable condition as it prevented pillaring and helped the screening effect.

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 pm

The whole notion of tweaking barrages given the time and ground scales in CoC is nonsensical.
I’ve read all the theory, and the accounts and tweaking by 20yards in a GUARANTEED MANNER just wasn’t possible despite what Andy will doubtless try to tell us. Otherwise, FF incidents would never have happened, and they did. A lot.
If a player tried to walk a smoke barrage in one of my games I’d simply tell him to forget it. If he persisted in arguing I’d tell him he was a gamey twat, then tell him to forget it.
We’ve gone down the route of not allowing any movement of barrages once called in. You want to move it, then repeat the call in process with all the associated risks. That and a possible variation of the aim point on each activation makes life much simpler, does away with the garbage of one man being pinned and one 5 millimetres away never being at risk, and generally makes players a little more circumspect about where and when they call in barrages

andysyk

Post by andysyk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 pm

chris cornwell wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 pm
The whole notion of tweaking barrages given the time and ground scales in CoC is nonsensical.
I’ve read all the theory, and the accounts and tweaking by 20yards in a GUARANTEED MANNER just wasn’t possible despite what Andy will doubtless try to tell us. Otherwise, FF incidents would never have happened, and they did. A lot.
If a player tried to walk a smoke barrage in one of my games I’d simply tell him to forget it. If he persisted in arguing I’d tell him he was a gamey twat, then tell him to forget it.
We’ve gone down the route of not allowing any movement of barrages once called in. You want to move it, then repeat the call in process with all the associated risks. That and a possible variation of the aim point on each activation makes life much simpler, does away with the garbage of one man being pinned and one 5 millimetres away never being at risk, and generally makes players a little more circumspect about where and when they call in barrages
Why are you presuming what I will try to tell you?

No the least youd move a barrage is 50 yards, which is about 15" in COC but rapid correction was practiced and used. If you move the barrage 50 yards it moves guaranteed, if you alter the handels on a Mortar the bomb goes somewhere else, the MPI moves. The 100% Zone DEP/CEP whatever you designate it moves.

More commonly on shoots especially for HE you fire a set number of rounds and then observe for results. You usually don't need to adjust fire as youre target should be covered by the barrage area. You already decided the amount of rounds it needed. Then only if necessary repeat. This conserves ammo.

The endless COC Barrage is an abstract.

And as Ive said on previous posts constantly moving it around the table as a walking zone of death is gamey. You wouldnt have the ammo to do it anyway. It is more effective to call down brief shoots on differing targets and save a lot of ammo in the process.

Infantry Mortars wernt usually used for walking barrages the ammunition demand is to high. But Smoke was sometimes used so.

Yes FF occurs but usually due to a number of factors. It occurs in small arms fire as well and far more commonly than HE delivered. So do you want to factor that in?

But like Ive said in other posts the saftey zone for a MM HE barrage pans out to about 300m, within 200m you are actually going to be within the effect of rounds on the barrage perimeter. 90" in COC if you delivered HE closer to youre own troops then there should be a chance or effect of own goals. So I would advocate that if youre within 300m of youre own Mortar barrage you are in danger. These are general figures it alters depending on the actual equipment/ammo/charges etc.. The safety zone in some circumstances could be 600yards.

And also some Smoke, WP, also requires a safety zone.

Really HE Barrages should be pregame bombardment. Unless you have a really big table. :roll:

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi guys,

It was a leading question because of a gamey tactic I faced in one of my early games for the probe scenario.

My opponent put down a smoke barrage and walked it to the table edge AFTER he had driven a tank into the smokescreen and then moved the tank inside the smoke barrage so I couldn't see it to shoot at it nor ambush it! I used the toffee hammer but looking at the RAW there is nothing to stop you walking a smoke barrage nor of hiding troops in it!!

Equally if you can walk a barrage and make it larger (which again by the RAW seems OK) then you can hide a huge are of the table enabling you to move attacking troops into a good position!

Don

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 am

This is exactly why Chris and I would not allow it - but I would not call you a twat unless I liked you :lol: