US Army in the Pacific

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

GunnarL

US Army in the Pacific

Post by GunnarL »

Does anyone know if the US Army platoon was any different for the Pacific Theatre? I could see CBI or the Island Hopping being drastically different from Europe, but the Army being the Army, I could absolutely see them keeping it exactly standard across the board.

Len Tracey

Re: US Army in the Pacific

Post by Len Tracey »

G'day Gunnarl,
As far as I can find out, the US Army kept the same squad, platoon & company organisation across all theatres of the war. This even applied to such units as 5307th Provisional Unit (Galahad) in Burma and 32nd Infantry Division in New Guinea. This was mainly for reasons of training and equipping, as well as tactical training for leaders. A standard organisation kept everything simple and avoided confusion. In theatre, units would conduct specific training to prepare for local conditions, but seldom changed their small unit organisation. Even Galahad only changed their battalion organisation when they divided them into two columns rather than three rifle companies. This division was left up to each battalion commander. Some simple created a one and an two company column; others split the third rifle company between the other two to create their columns. Support weapons were usually divided on a pro rata basis.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

jdg

Post by jdg »

The uniforms used in the PTO were HBTs. At first it was a coverall but that was problematic when responding to the call of nature. So later they then went to a two piece HBT uniform.

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

Couple of snippets on armament, Guadalcanal onwards many US Army units stripped all Drivers/rear echelon of their SMGs and used them in the Infantry elements.

In Sep 1944 the US 81st Infantry Division had an additional allocation of Armament.

Each RCT had an additional 10 SMGs and 81 BARs- enabling each squad to operate 2, which was considered "sound".

Also each RCT received 23 M1919 LMG.

Now I don't know if these weapons included those allocated with the June 44 amendments to the TOE.

37mm ATG replaced the 57mm presumably because they were lighter and had Canister rounds.

There are other additional BARs added throughout Divisional assets.

I don't know if other Divisions in the PTO received this allocation?

This comes from an 81st Divisional Report on the Anguar/Palau Operation.

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL »

In that case, it looks like we could assume the island hopping units for sure would have the ability to purchase an extra SMG per squad at 1pt each.

For the BAR's maybe the same thing?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Gunnar,
I think you are being a little hard on the US Army, other lists allow you to add 2 SMGs to a platoon at a cost of 1 Support Point.

Given Andy's reply I would be inclined to include the extra weapons into the platoon and recalculate the Force Rating. Substituting 2 SMGs in each of 3 squads would add +1 to the Force Rating. Adding a second BAR to each squad would also increase the FR by +1.

John

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL »

Not trying to be hard on my own branch, haha. I was referencing the USMC list when making that suggestion. Something to think about, if we can confirm that this was not uncommon outside the 81st, we should include it in the list. That said, I think that a force should be based around the TO&E and then supplemented with the support list.

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hi
Is there US list for them?

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Is the a list for the US in the Pacific would like to sed

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »