French Colour Guide

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DougM

French Colour Guide

Post by DougM »

Hi Guys, I am pretty sure this question must have been answered before, but the search tool doesn't allow me to to search for the word 'French' saying it is too common.. I am aware of the Artizan guides, but I am looking to airbrush my 1940 French infantry, and I am looking to use a couple of different colours, any suggestions? I normally use the Vallejo Model Air, but I don't currently have a good match, so I would prefer to buy Tamiya colour, as they work better in an airbrush.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Capt Fortier

Re: French Colour Guide

Post by Capt Fortier »

Here are a few guides:
But no help with Tamiya colours, sorry.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

DougM

Post by DougM »

Merci M'sieur

I decided to have a crack at it last night using MiG WWI tank colours with a moss green and mud brown mix. I think it will work k once I apply the coat d arms brown super shader and highlight. Verymuch looking forward to painting the armour now.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Many years when I played FoW, I undertook to paint the French of 1940. I posed the question to the FoW forum about which Tamiya paints to use. I received the following response:
"Normal Infantry use XF49 Khaki for the Trousers, Jacket, Overcoat and Puttees. Boots, Ammo pouches and associated straps use XF10 Brown or XF64 Red Brown. Backpack, shoulder bags and associated webbing use XF60 Dark Yellow. For Helmets and the base colour for Guns and Vehicles use XF58 Olive Green.

Cammo for Guns and Vehicles use XF59 Desert Yellow, XF10 Brown and probably XF26 Deep Green (or maybe another green lighter than XF58, I haven't gotten that far in my painting yet!).

Vehicles and Guns will need highlighting with lighter colour(s) as well as a wash to bring out the detail, the infantry can probably get by with just the usual black/brown wash.

If you are doing mechanised troops with the red brown uniform I suggest using XF64 Red Brown heavily drybrushed with XF52 Flat Earth. For Chasseurs a Pied the blue/black trousers etc use XF63 German Grey. For troops using the light overall style uniforms use XF57 Buff"

Worked well In 15mm anyway.

DougM

Post by DougM »

Thanks for that. I think I've worked out the colour options, and I've now kicked off the painting.. we shall see how the result looks.