Starting out

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

simonhl

Starting out

Post by simonhl » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Good afternoon all, I am a long time lurker and have just played my first game of Coc, I have been waiting for a while to do this and really enjoyed the game. I do have a first question, when a forward observer is activated, either on a die roll of 1 or the Senior Leader uses one of his initiatives, then that observer can then request a barrage.
The rules mention a second activation, is that in a subsequent phase (assuming a die roll of 1) or during the current phase?
Can a senior leader use one initiative to activate the observer and another one to further the process or am I reading more into this than I should?
Thanks in advance
Simon

OldNick

Re: Starting out

Post by OldNick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Successive phases.

They need an activation per phase, and each of them can either be their own on a 1, or an SL’s on a 4.

simonhl

Post by simonhl » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks OldNick, that is the way I interpreted it but just wasn't sure.

simonhl

Post by simonhl » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:29 am

A couple of further questions, probably obvious to most of you but if someone could clarify regarding activation following our second game, still learning but like the rules.

Firstly, can an individual team which is part of a section be activated on a command roll of 1, does it count as an individual team or does it always act as part of a section? (example-can a french VB team as part of the HQ section, although it has a JL, be activated on a command roll of 1 or does it require a section or JL activation)

Second, when a leader activates his command, does each team (lmg team and rifle team) require an initiative or, if they are to act together, does it only require one initiative to command the whole section. For example, a JL requires his section to move and fire, if they are to fire at the same target, does each team within the section require a command (ie 2 initiatives) or only one command for the entire section, thus leaving the JL with one initiative? (I assume that if they are to fire at separate targets then each would require its own activation command)

Third, how do medics work, I see from the rules they can remove wounds from leaders, but I seem to have failed to find where in the rules how leaders get wounds.

We are really enjoying the rules and just want to understand some of the basics.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:09 am

Hi Simon,
Glad to hear you are enjoying the rules, they are great fun. Here's my answers:

1) Yes you can use a Command Dice roll of '1' to activate a Team within a section. This gives sections with teams greater tactical flexibility since they can use a greater range of Command Dice. Of course if activated that way it can't be activated again by the JL that phase although he could remove shock.

2) It only requires 1 CI to activate all the Teams in a section to do the same thing and act together. The JL can then use his second CI to do something which doesn't count as an activation such as removing Shock. And yes you are correct, firing at separate targets would require the JL to spend 2 CIs as he is issuing two orders.

3) Leaders can potentially be hit if any Team they are within 4" of gets a Kill result from enemy fire. See section 9.1.1 on page 39 for the rules on "Hits on Leaders and Forward Observers" which explains how Leaders can be wounded or killed.

John

Trailape

Post by Trailape » Fri May 10, 2019 9:10 am

Question!
I have a die roll of 3 which I wish to use to activate a British Section.
Can I activate the section (because a 3 means I can activate the Jnr Leader & the SECTION) and subsequently use two command initiatives to invoke my National Characteristic ‘Concentrated Fire’ using the Jnr Leader (because a 3 means I can activate the JNR LEADER and the section)?
In other words does a three permit the section to simply ‘activate, AND permit the section commander to do stuff?
Otherwise I’d require a 3 to activate the Jnr leader and the Bren to CONCENTRATE FIRE plus a 1 to activate the riflemen TEAM from the same section.
Or
Do I need a 2 to activate the section and a 3 to activate the Jnr Leader to control the Bren and Concentrate Fire?
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Morgan

Post by Morgan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:46 am

I believe the answer is that, if you use a 3 to activate the JL and he spends both his CIs on Concentrated Fire, the rifle team do nothing. I think the exception to this is at the point of Deployment where the rifles *do* get to fire because, at this time, they are under 'perfect control'.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Trailape

Post by Trailape » Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 am

Morgan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:46 am
I believe the answer is that, if you use a 3 to activate the JL and he spends both his CIs on Concentrated Fire, the rifle team do nothing. I think the exception to this is at the point of Deployment where the rifles *do* get to fire because, at this time, they are under 'perfect control'.
Where does it state that the section is better controlled at deployment?
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Fri May 10, 2019 11:45 am

The very last sentence of section 4.3.1, which states units may always fire on deploying. As Rich has previously confirmed, this means that when deploying on a 3 all the unit will fire without the JL spending any CI, so he can spend his CI on, for instance, national characteristics. He referred to it as the unit being under full control.

Cheers,
Jim

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am

Trailape wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:10 am
Can I activate the section (because a 3 means I can activate the Jnr Leader & the SECTION)
Strictly speaking a 3 means you activate just the Junior Leader. The JL can then use his initiatives to activate the section. The only command dice that activates a section directly is a 2.