Deploy and Activate?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Peabody

Deploy and Activate?

Post by Peabody »

It is the early stages of a game, Sections and Leaders are still being deployed:

I deploy a Section on a '2', placing them 6" from the Jump Off Point.

Can I now activate a team within that Section using a '1' to shoot, go tactical or basically do anything other than movement?

If I can shoot with that unit, should they count as having moved for calculating Firepower?
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.

Derek H

Re: Deploy and Activate?

Post by Derek H »

If you have the dice to activate a nearby leader, then yes. If you deploy on a'3' the section can deploy on the table and the Junior Leader can use his 2 points to to activate for anything other than movement.

No, they do not count as having moved.

Unless Richard contradicts me that is.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

fred

Post by fred »

My understanding (belief) was that on deploying on a 2, they could be then activated to shoot.

Now if this can only happen if they deploy on a 3, using the junior leaders CI, then it changes things.

We have used 'ambushes' from jump off points a few times to rather devastating effect.

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

I thought that too, indeed we've have played it that way. But then I read the rules more closely.

"On a Command Dice roll of 2, a Section or Squad deploying onto the table will always arrive accompanied by its Junior Leader where one is present. However, the Leader may not use his Command Initiative in this Phase."

And

"On a Command Dice roll of 3, a Junior Leader may deploy onto the table with his Section, Squad or Support Weapon Team. He may immediately use his Command Initiatives to command or activate any of his men in his command range, but neither he nor they may move in this Phase. If one of the Section’s Teams has already deployed onto the table as part of an Ambush then the balance of the Section will arrive with its Junior Leader."

The text for an activation on a '3' specifically mentions that the unit may arrive and then do something else if activated by the Junior Leader while the text for activation on a '2' does not say they can do anything other than arrive.

That suggests to me that all you can do with a '2' is arrive on the table.

I may well be wrong. Perhaps Rich will clarify.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Yes, they can shoot deploying on a '1' or '2' - this was the rule that caused the kerfuffle over the missing line from the rules and the stickers for the rule book!

Cheers,
Jim

GERRYJD

Post by GERRYJD »

JimLeCat wrote:Yes, they can shoot deploying on a '1' or '2' - this was the rule that caused the kerfuffle over the missing line from the rules and the stickers for the rule book!

Cheers,
Jim

Derek probably has the sticker stuck on his computer screen at work!! ;)

So does that mean on a '3' you can deploy the section with the junior leader, fire with the section, whilst using his 2 CI's to direct the fire of one of the teams then??

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm......I prefer to regard it as a humorous observation!!

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

The missed phrase was "Troops deploying onto the table may not move in the current Phase but may fire at full effect."

Regards

Edward

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi Gerry,
So does that mean on a '3' you can deploy the section with the junior leader, fire with the section, whilst using his 2 CI's to direct the fire of one of the teams then??
I can't see why not...

Cheers,
Jim

Peabody

Post by Peabody »

Kustenjaeger wrote:Greetings
The missed phrase was "Troops deploying onto the table may not move in the current Phase but may fire at full effect."
Regards

Edward
OHO! Edward, I NEED that sticker! We didn't get any stickers here in Canada...

So we played it (almost) correctly after all. We assumed that a Deployment counted as movement so halved the Firepower, but I like the full-power option better.

Thanks everyone for jumping in, much appreciated. Thank you Edward for the answer we needed.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.

GERRYJD

Post by GERRYJD »

The files section in the yahoo group has the amended page 16 that you can download until you get the sticker! :-)

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm......I prefer to regard it as a humorous observation!!