Deploying squad with Jr. Ldr

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

Re: Deploying squad with Jr. Ldr

Post by john de terre neuve »

John, I don't think it was obvious at all. Everybody was pretty surprised when Rich played it that way in the BoW video, they'd been playing it differently for years.
I am not so sure who is "everyone". I play CoC with 3 other players, I play with each independently and we all have always played it as Rich described.

Since I do not have a military or historical backgound a lot of the knowledge base behind a WWII was completely unknown to me when I started playing CoC. I know a bit now, all learned from you and the others on the forum and it is much appreciated.

Because of this, I really have to rely on the RAW. I ask a lot of questions about the mechanisms of the game rather than the historical basis for them, not that I am not interested.

I am slowly figuring out how to interpret TFL rules, and most of the time they are exactly as written. If it is not written you can not do it etc etc. I think the recent discussion about Bunkers and the off-table 88 was an excellent example of this.

John
Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

john de terre neuve wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm What Rich has confirmed was absolutely obvious from the RAW!
With five pages of discussion in this thread alone and the previous thread on top, clearly 'obvious' it was not.
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Maybe everyone will feel better if I remove the word absolutely!
siggian

Post by siggian »

Arlequín wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:48 pm
john de terre neuve wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm What Rich has confirmed was absolutely obvious from the RAW!
With five pages of discussion in this thread alone and the previous thread on top, clearly 'obvious' it was not.
Agree with this. I've been playing that with a 3, the section deploys. If the JL wants the unit to fire, that cost a CI. That seemed more consistent to me with the rest of the rules. I don't mind going with the "new" interpretation, but I now have to check with my fellow gamers as to how they handle it.

This makes me want to go back to those introductory videos and see if there's any mention of this in them. I get the sneaking suspicion that this is a case of evolution that's happened, possibly (and unintentionally) occurring even before CoC published but after that bit of the rules was written. It is extremely difficult to read/edit your own work with naive and neutral eyes because you know what you meant when you selected the words that you used.

This is not a criticism of how Rich writes rules. I write instructions for a living so I really understand how difficult it is to write something that minimizes confusion. I recognize that whatever I write, someone somewhere will completely interpret it in the opposite way that I intended. Generally. Lardy rules are pretty solid, and even more importantly, very readable. The key is that there is an active forum here and elsewhere that help people understand what the orthodox interpretation is. Rich staying active in the community is a huge bonus.