Green Troops and 4 Command Dice - A quick and easy solution to balance 6's rolled with 4, 5 or 6 command dice.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Green Troops and 4 Command Dice - A quick and easy solution to balance 6's rolled with 4, 5 or 6 command dice.

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yup thats what I am saying......until in V2 we split moral from training ala FoW style. :D

Another_Gamer

Re: Green Troops and 4 Command Dice - A quick and easy solution to balance 6's rolled with 4, 5 or 6 command dice.

Post by Another_Gamer »

The rules does state, “The number of Command Dice rolled at the start of each Phase is determined by the quality of the force.” But it does not specify or give details, and as such it could easily apply to both troop quality and leadership quality.

The way I see it, the number of command dice is just a simple game mechanic that allows the developer to tweak the army lists, and not intended to be based on anything specific. In short, it gives the developer an extra tool in the toolbox to reflex subtle differences among the different army lists.

That being said, rolling six command dice is uncommon, and rolling four command dice is even more uncommon. Still, there needs to be a method to balance the Phase Sequence Rolls during the game.

When using the "Green Troops and Four Command Dice" rule in concert with the "Elite Troops and the Sixth Command Dice" rule, the odds of rolling 6's for Green, Regular, and Elite troops are now exactly the same. Because the "Green Troops and Four Command Dice" rule matches perfectly with the changes made to rolling the six command dice by Elite troops as explained in the Errata and FAQ, it is a simple and easy way to fix the issue.

Iztvan

Post by Iztvan »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:36 am
Yup thats what I am saying......until in V2 we split moral from training ala FoW style. :D
To be honest, going further and splitting it in three - Morale, Training and Initiative I think has potential. You could have stubborn skilled troops who lack initiative and need to be encouraged (desert rats in normandy?), and you can have less competent, not exceedingly brave guys who are quick to react (Torch US?).
Twitter @Staffan_G

Another_Gamer

Post by Another_Gamer »

I like what everyone is suggesting - Combat Experience, Level of Training, and Level of Motivation. Lots of rule books incorporate these factors in one form or another. I think CoC pretty much has all this built in as it stands. Motivation is covered by Force Morale, and command dice generally cover Combat Experience and Level of Training. The number of command dice is also a simple game mechanic to represent troop quality and leadership quality. Could CoC include more details? Sure, any rule set can be overly done and overly complicated with lots of details, but will it make it better? There is a careful balance between playability and complexity/details.

Overall, I think CoC is good just the way it is. If anything, there are a few areas of the game that can be cleaned up and/or simplified. However, this is all subjective and dependent on what players are wanting to get out of the game.

Truscott Trotter

The problem I have is that force moral is linked to training/experience level.

This could be changed in particular lists eg green troops with +2 to FM rather than -2

Another_Gamer

Post by Another_Gamer »

TT, yes, I agree with you 100%. The modifier links force moral to training and/or experience level.

That being said, on many occasions Rich (designer of CoC) has commented after a player rolls Force Morale that this also reflects how motivated or not motivated they are for battle. In short, it all gets integrated in a simple basic form, and I can see how green troops - because of doubts in lack of training - might be less motivated even if things are going their way.

Fettster

Post by Fettster »

Where is the Elite Troops and the Sixth Command Dice rule found. I downloaded the faq again and could not find it
Kind Regards

Leigh

Truscott Trotter

p 6
Elite Troops and the Sixth Command Dice
This remains a contentious issue and needs to be addressed. It was always my intention that very
few, very elite units would get this benefit as it is a very powerful addition, not particularly due to an
extra activation but the fact that it increases the chances of multiple phases significantly.

If using a unit with six command dice (and not all elite troops should automatically get this benefit,
as we will show in forthcoming handbooks) one of the command dice should be a distinct and
different colour to the others rolled. So, for example, you might roll five white dice and one red one.
If the differently coloured dice, red in our example, rolls 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 it is treated as normal. If the
red dice rolls 6 then this is converted to a 5 immediately and does not count towards multiple
phases.
This does not affect any of the points values for forces.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Although in fact the Germans in the recent 1940 BoW video get a red die, but ignore 5s and 6s, so does this further vary this rule?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:05 am
Although in fact the Germans in the recent 1940 BoW video get a red die, but ignore 5s and 6s, so does this further vary this rule?
Hi Baron,
Those Germans in the video are not Elites. The "Red Dice" rule in the 1940 Blitzkreig supplement is a similar but not identical rule mechanism to allow some benefit in the leadership of higher than average quality regular units in that campaign. It does not replace the FAQ rule but it does help differentiate between units more than the simple Green/Regular/Elite or 4/5/6 Command Dice options.

John