The Breda Modello 30

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jdg

The Breda Modello 30

Post by jdg »

After watching this video I am of the opinion that the Italian LMG's firepower should be reduced somewhat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJI04ifSoM

jdg

Truscott Trotter

Re: The Breda Modello 30

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I thought it was?

Archie Bacon

Post by Archie Bacon »

Reduced from six to five d6 i believe.

Kadzik

Post by Kadzik »

In the fanmade lists for Sicily it count as 3 crew LMG with 3 Firepower Dice. I like this reduction.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

We did the same with España and Abyssinia, but with two crew iirc. You really should also give it the AR re-roll too. FP 3 with three crew is a bit harsh.

Stef Cascarini

Post by Stef Cascarini »

It's 6 in the Blizkrieg 1940 book - which I assumed was the most recent thoughts on the matter.

jdg

Post by jdg »

I thin it shouldn't be any more that 4 at best. In the video he points out that is in Italian its a automatic rifle not a LMG.

jdg

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

And then, there is this arcane paragraph in the coculator (in one version at least, as it seems that there more than one):

Infantrymen
Rifleman: 1 point
SMG: 2 points
BAR: 3 points
Assault rifle: 2 points
Semi-automatic rifle. +1 point for every 8 men squad. 9-16 men = +2 per squad
Box fed LMG: 6 points
Tray fed LMG: 5 points
Strip fed LMG: 6 points
Belt fed LMG: 8 points
Crew are rated in with their weapon. Any additional riflemen in a weapon team are rated as riflemen, with one point.

If the BREDA is a tray fed, then is 5 dice firepower. Because I don´t think that with that awkward system for changing magazines the BREDA can be considered as a box fed LMG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-D3nN4QycM

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

That's an old one, I think he may have seen that he was digging himself into a foxhole there. ;)

I'm pretty sure the difference between 6 and 5 dice LMGs is now based on cyclic rate, if it's under 600 rpm you get 5 dice. Also weapons identified as 'not good' lose a dice too, like the Lewis Gun.
jdg wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 pm
I thin it shouldn't be any more that 4 at best. In the video he points out that is in Italian its a automatic rifle not a LMG.
'Automatic Rifle' or 'Machine Rifle' are what light machine guns are called in almost every other language but English. Shall we downgrade the German 'Machine Rifle #42' to three dice?

Foreign language terms do not often translate literally into English ones.

That said FP 4 seems reasonable, at least it does until you compare the Breda to the BAR.

Vanth

Post by Vanth »

jdg wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 pm

jdg
That is actually just a problem from a lexical point of view: the denomination , which he can't figure out in the video, is Fucile Mitragliatore which is a catch all term in italian for LMGs and SMGs, as opposed to Mitragliatrice which is used for MMGs and HMGs. Automatic Rifle would be Fucile Automatico, which is something different; the term is sometimes used for SMGs as well, for instance in the MAB38 case, where the letters stand for Moschetto Automatico Beretta, which is clearly an SMG and he considers it one of the best of WWII. Actually it was used until the end of the 90s, I remember firing it during exercise a number of times, althouogh it was being cycled out by then
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."