Will CoC work with 3-2-1 basing?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

vodkafan

Will CoC work with 3-2-1 basing?

Post by vodkafan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:13 pm

This basing has become quite popular lately for some other period rules and I think it looks quite exciting visually. I haven't read the CoC rules yet but I know it uses a whole platoon per side, 30-40 figures; and I don't like the idea of having all the figures based singly. So can you tell me up front if the rules will work OK ?
For those who don't know what I mean , for example a section of 10 men might have 1 base of 3 figures, 2 bases of two figures and 3 based as singles.

john de terre neuve

Re: Will CoC work with 3-2-1 basing?

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:50 pm

I believe you could make any basing system work, but you would have to insure the ability to base for the following:
  • Not all CoC sections/squads have 10 men.
    Most sections are broken into 2 teams which have to be clearly defined.
    Teams within a section can move separtely
    All sections have a single Leader, with the ability to sometimes add a 2nd leader
    You can break off small teams from the section
    You can move men from 1 team to another within a section.
    The games relies on the ability to track single casualties for each team
For all those reasons I would not recommend multi figure basing, I did it for some of my ATG, AIG, MMG teams etc and it is a pain.

But like I said you can make anything work.

John

vodkafan

Post by vodkafan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:07 pm

John, thanks for the quick reply. Hmm yes those were all the reasons that I was worried about. I don't think multibasing will work.

Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 pm

I reckon it would work, so long as you have enough bases that you can easily make change to deal with the casualties and so forth. I think the squad weapons would need to be singles probably, or at least have some that are singles, so you can represent a squad weapon team down to one man, and all leaders would need to be single bases.

e.g.

a German infantry platoon could have two bases of three figures for the rifle team, and the LMG team be a MG42 single base and a two man base for the support crew man and rifle man, or a single base for each.

So, as long as you have enough bases to make change when you want, I think it would work ok - just make sure leaders and squad weapons can be represented by single bases.

Still, unlike John, I haven't actually tried it, so he may be right.

MLB

Post by MLB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 pm

I started playing with figures based for Crossfire (normally 3 to a base). It is certainly playable that way, you just need a way to record casualties. I started rebasing a few singly so that I could make up odd numbers or make change and this worked even better. Of course eventually I rebased everything in a more CoC friendly manner, but there’s no reason you can’t make it work with multi-based figures with very little effort.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:36 am

Your suggested 3-2-1 basing can work, but you do have to take account of the size of the teams within a squad when preparing your figures. So a 6 man rifle team could be divided into 3-2-1 removing the relevant figures for casualties or to create a scout team. An LMG team would be best as a 2-1 with the squad leader separate. Personally I would tend to use a mix of '2's and singles rather than '3's.

You can also use multi-based figures if you use micro-dice or counters to track casualties.

John

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:16 am

When I first played I wanted to use my 20mm British which are all based in 3’s - I simply bought a few more figures to base as singles when casualties occurred . It worked fine.
As has been said, “one size fits all” multi-basing might not work for all armies, with the Brits 3’s worked because the teams are 3 and 6.