Resources for campaign South Pacific Theatre

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Soleplayerone

Resources for campaign South Pacific Theatre

Post by Soleplayerone »

I am about to place an order for CoC stuff shortly.

I am interested in running a USMC/IJA campaign South Pacific Theatre.

Probably starting with Guadalcanal.

Which would work better for me At the Sharp End Campaign Handbook or Platoon Forward, or should I use both. I was not sure if those were more geared towards the European theatre.

Later on towards the end after Okinawa I may continue with some Weird War.

I plan to run United States Marines and Army, Imperial Japanese, Australians, and Philippine Anti-Japanese Resistance.

Any suggestions for Lists and rules to use would be very helpful.
I see lead people. :o

Munin

Re: Resources for campaign South Pacific Theatre

Post by Munin »

Definitely go with "At The Sharp End," as campaign play for CoC is fantastic. While it doesn't have character origins/backgrounds for the for the Japanese, you can easily cook something up that fits the bill (I did this for Italy, for instance).

In terms of Army lists, the Infantry platoon list from the main rulebook will work for the Americans with the following minor tweaks:
Americans: substitute a 3-man 60mm mortar team for the 2-man bazooka team. Later in the war (mid '43) they swap from the mortar to the bazooka, which troops in the Pacific theater largely used to bust bunkers and pillboxes (as the Japanese never really fielded tanks in large numbers).

The main lists for the IJA and the British Far East troops (i.e. the Australians) can be found here:
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=2977

There is a thread here in the CoC forums that has army lists for the USMC (type D platoon maybe?), you should be able to find it with a cursory search of "USMC list".

You may also want to take a look at Len Tracey's Malaya Campaign (in the TFL 2015 Christmas Special). In addition to an excellent "Pint-Sized Campaign" for the fall of Malaya in 1942, it has rules for jungle terrain that are broadly applicable across much of the PTO.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Munin wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:56 pm
Definitely go with "At The Sharp End," as campaign play for CoC is fantastic. While it doesn't have character origins/backgrounds for the for the Japanese, you can easily cook something up that fits the bill (I did this for Italy, for instance).
That wouldn't have been Spaghetti ala Bersaglieri by any chance? :lol:

Munin

Post by Munin »

Indeed! With a side of poached Alpini d'Isonzo! ;)

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

G'day Soloplayerone,
I agree with the recommendation for "At the Sharp End" for the campaign series. The Malaya '42 campaign in the 2015 Summer Special has a Japanese origins/background section if desired.
One thing you way want to consider is that most US units at the start of the Solomon Islands campaign were still armed with bolt-action rifles. As far as I know, the first US Marines to land were using the D-Series TO&E. Once withdrawn from the Guadalcanal, the Marines were reorganised to the E-Series TO&E and re-equipped with M1 Garand.
Cheers

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I can highly recommend Len Tracey's Malaysia Campaign as note above in the 2015 Xmas special, the terrain rules alone make it a worth while purchase for anyone interested in jungle fighting.

You can find the USMC Early War D organisation here which has been vetted by Rich. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-fmqb ... A0YzA/view

Here is a Japanese list http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-cont ... 1941-2.pdf

John

mav0604

Post by mav0604 »

Munin wrote:

In terms of Army lists, the Infantry platoon list from the main rulebook will work for the Americans with the following minor tweaks:
Americans: substitute a 3-man 60mm mortar team for the 2-man bazooka team. Later in the war (mid '43) they swap from the mortar to the bazooka, which troops in the Pacific theater largely used to bust bunkers and pillboxes (as the Japanese never really fielded tanks in large numbers).

The main lists for the IJA and the British Far East troops (i.e. the Australians) can be found here:
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=2977

There is a thread here in the CoC forums that has army lists for the USMC (type D platoon maybe?), you should be able to find it with a cursory search of "USMC list".

You may also want to take a look at Len Tracey's Malaya Campaign (in the TFL 2015 Christmas Special). In addition to an excellent "Pint-Sized Campaign" for the fall of Malaya in 1942, it has rules for jungle terrain that are broadly applicable across much of the PTO.
So how can I get a copy of the 2015 Christmas special with the Malaya campaign ?/

Cheers

rim66

Post by rim66 »

2015 Christmas Special is available here:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/201 ... s-special/

The price changes dependent on where you are due to tax issues so logging in to your account will sort this.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

MLB

Post by MLB »

Munin wrote:
The Malaya 1942 campaign includes lists for Japanese character backgrounds if you want to add that extra level of flavour.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

remgain

Post by remgain »

Munin,
I'm really interested to hear which national characteristics you used for Italians!

Thank you
Marco
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw