Any Rules from Blitzkrieg for main game?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Iorwerth

Any Rules from Blitzkrieg for main game?

Post by Iorwerth » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 am

I was wondering what rules others are taking from the new handbook and using in all their games?

I was thinking the smoke grenade new rule and the number of smoke grenades/grenades a unit has would probably apply (though I was using the smoke variation mentioned a while back somewhere in the forum, where it blocks los if not within 12" of the smoke, and if within 12" gives a -1, which had worked well, so might just keep using that rule). The Red dice is an interesting rule, but would have to re-do the force lists from the main book to put it in (also applies ton the Jop rule). The airborne and combat engineering sections seem to be generic to all phases of the war, so they can be used with no problem. The new troop types could be (bicycles, boats, motorcycles etc) except they would probably need a different platoon set-ups for later war?

Seret

Re: Any Rules from Blitzkrieg for main game?

Post by Seret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am

Iorwerth wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 am
I was thinking the smoke grenade new rule and the number of smoke grenades/grenades a unit has would probably apply
That was changed in the latest FAQ, so it's not actually a new rule in the blitzkrieg book.
The airborne and combat engineering sections seem to be generic to all phases of the war, so they can be used with no problem.
Yep, those were the bits that (as a mainly mid- and late-war gamer) made me take notice. Also the scenarios. The one where the defender is delaying and conducting demolitions look particularly interesting, and could just as easily be used for Germans trying to blow bridges in Italy in 43-45 (for example) as it could for France 1940.

I don't actually have any early war forces, I bought the book solely because it sounded like there was plenty of stuff in there for the rest of the war.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 am

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm

I think the new Force Morale tables/rules should be applied to the rest of the lists.

Travh20

Post by Travh20 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am

Yeah pretty much all the rules can be used. Especially the new rule where a unit retreats instead of losing a deployment point when you reach 3 force morale. OR is it 2 ? One of those. Way better. Because who really cared if you lost a deployment point when 99% of the time all of your units will be on the board already.
Chain of Command/Sharp Practice video battle reports and more at https://www.youtube.com/user/travh20

Seret

Post by Seret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:26 am

Travh20 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am
Because who really cared if you lost a deployment point when 99% of the time all of your units will be on the board already.
It's a big deal in campaign games, as the distance to the nearest JOP affects how easily your platoon can withdraw.

PatG

Post by PatG » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Travh20 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am
Yeah pretty much all the rules can be used. Especially the new rule where a unit retreats instead of losing a deployment point when you reach 3 force morale. OR is it 2 ? One of those. Way better. Because who really cared if you lost a deployment point when 99% of the time all of your units will be on the board already.
My understanding is that the withdrawal rule is a characteristic of that period of the war. I can see it also applying for example to the Germans in Falaise or other situations where one side was withdrawing at the operational level. I don't see it as appropriate across the board.

powermonger

Post by powermonger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:54 pm

I’m using several adds from the blitzkrieg book in my Indichina games